The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Attaching eureka base? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
demente42
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
199 Posts

Profile of demente42
What is the best way for attaching a flange for the eurka base to the bottom of a suitcase/ata case? The case is 3/8" think (including dense foam lining). I want it to be flush or relatively so on the inside so it doesn't impede or snag the props I'll be carrying in it.
Brandon Smith

Imagine The Impossible
www.MagicForAnyOccasion.com

Creator of Dough or No Dough & Show Me the Bunny.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
What is the case made of, and how thick is the actual material?

Sam
demente42
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
199 Posts

Profile of demente42
It is one of the Husky Aluminum Tool/Breifcase. Aluminum panel outside, thin dense foam inside. Whole thing is about 3/8" with most of that being foam. It came with Barry Mitchel's Super Chicken.
Brandon Smith

Imagine The Impossible

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The aluminum may not be stable enough to secure the to the base flange. It is likely to flex wildly, and the torque may eventually cause any fasteners to tear through.

Can the foam on the bottom (the side where you want to attach the base) be removed? If so, lift it out and insert a piece of 1/8" - 1/4" Birch plywood, or Masonite that has been cut to fit the entire bottom.

Attach the base flange using T-nuts on the inside (non-prong), and machine screws through the flange's holes. Reinsert the foam and that should do the job. It will be a fairly flush finish. The foam should cover the very slight bump created by the T-nuts.

If you want a more flush finish, you can counter sink the T-nuts using a Forstner bit, but I don't think you'll need to worry about that.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
demente42
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
199 Posts

Profile of demente42
Michael, thank you for the info.
Brandon Smith

Imagine The Impossible