The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Magic Inc... a new type of old (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
veggeku
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of veggeku
There has been much controversy and hear say about Magic Inc lately. I am proud to be able to make this post stating that Magic Inc is on it's way to becoming the great store it once was.

Now I’ll admit, I’m a bit of a young one when it comes to the magic scene (at least in Chicago). Yet I was there when Jay was around and I was there after. there is no doubt that losing Jay and Frances etched at piece out of Magic Inc, that was bound to happen. Yet people still had their heads up and were ready for battle.
After Jay died thing's at the shop seemed a little bit cloudy and unsure. Most if not all people probably thought that all it needed was some good ole fashioned time to straighten out…Time to some degree came and went, People were starting to get a little curious and worried about the shop. Than with the giant 'For Sale' sign posted on the building, every magician I knew started getting worried...

Because of this I decided to stop by the shop TODAY!!!, to see what all the talk is about

I pulled into the shop and walked in expecting an utter tragedy... yet I was greeted politely by Sandy (Jay's Son) and a few others behind the counter. I am no novice to Magic Inc so I noticed all the new tricks and DVD’s that they just brought in, which made me very happy. The part that really made me happy was the fact that they are starting to re-release golden oldy tricks. Lord knows I’ve been fooled by so many tricks that have been lost in the depths of time.
I chit chatted with Sandy quite a bit on Magic Inc’s future. Sandy told me how he feels that Magic INC is more than worth fighting for. Sandy and I (and I’m sure MANY more) feel that Magic Inc is one more of those Chicago classics that just should never be gone. There isn't many shops around that can claim a 81yr seniority.
The only sad part to this story is the fact that Magic Inc is going to move. There is no doubt that we will all miss it's present location. Yet, I would much rather see the Magic Inc name go on rather than die out like so much of Chicago’s greats. Besides... Magic Inc moved once in it‘s history, what's wrong with twice?
Sandy has great enthusiasm about Magic INC's new turn for the magic community. He said with all honesty that some of these posts really opened his eyes to the issue at hand. I can say with all assurance that Sandy is going to try as hard as he can to rebuild, revitalize, and reinvent Magic Inc into a greatness that a 81yr shop deserves. He said with great excitement that he is going to make everyone learn a new trick every week and I believe him. Sandy is seeing to it personally that Magic Inc is no longer taking time…it’s making it, hopefully another 81 more years.

I can say with all honesty that I believe Magic Inc is on the right path. They are welcoming and more than happy to show people a few tricks. I am sure that the Magic Inc name will still leave a long legacy in Chicago’s rich magical history.

http://www.magicinc.net/index.asp?PageAc......gory=563

Sorry for the length...it's quite a big issue with me. I hope it has shed some good light on the topic.

Always Magic Inc
Cory
Child: "when i grow up i want to be a magician"
Jay Marshall: "Sorry kid, yah can't have both"
R.I.P. Jay, the store will never be the same without you
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3879 Posts

Profile of Julie
GREAT NEWS!

Julie
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Magic Inc.'s rebirth is something to be experienced. Saturdays are a great day to go when magicians Jay Collen and Terry are demonstrating. Jay has a really solid presentation style that is great to be exposed to, and I've been talking to him about taking private lessons. Terry's sleight of hand skills with cards and coins can inspire one to go back home and practice, practice, practice. He can take something simple like Cardtoon or Scotch & Soda, throw in some marvelous sleight of hand, and even if you know how the gaff works, you're left in awe. And Sandy is returning to magic after a long hiatus, but he has a lot of enthusiasm.

They offer lectures on-site (including an upcoming one by Eugene Burger) and private lessons. They don't mind if you just hang around to see magic and interact with the various performers and customers who come through. And the demonstrators are helpful, friendly, and entertaining. But one word of warning, be careful about saying the word "mime" when Sandy can hear you..... =)