The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Earliest known published book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
terrick
View Profile
New user
IN
75 Posts

Profile of terrick
Does anyone know the title of one of the first magic books that still exists? Someone told me about it a few months ago, but I can't remember the title, but I'm pretty sure it contained the word "witchcraft". I was told that only a couple remain and that my university's library has one. I wanted to look it up, but now I forget what the book is called.

I know this isn't much information, and maybe the fact is that nobody actually knows what the "first" one was, but if anybody has any idea what book I was told about, please let me know.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot.
terrick
View Profile
New user
IN
75 Posts

Profile of terrick
Ah, that was it! And we do have a copy. I'll have to go check that out this weekend. Thanks!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27316 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Do you mean printed on a press or copied by scribes?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
J.T.: Your question raises an interesting issue regarding the meaning of the word "published."

But instead of boring folks to death with a discussion of that highly technical point, it would probably be much more interesting to hear your list of candidates if the question is deemed to include manuscripts.

CHS
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27316 Posts

I suspect there are plenty of pieces of ancient books used in magic and also the first book printed for distribution to show off the press has plenty of magic in it even if it contains admonishments against the practice of the craft.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Reginald Scot
The Discovery of Witchcraft
London, 1584

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Scot

Owned by David Copperfield
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
That's the first in the English language. Does that mean there were others in other languages before this, and if so, are they well-known titles?
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Prior to being edited, the Wikipedia entry for Scot stated that The Discoverie is considered a "bible" to magicians. I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. If someone tells me that a book is the "bible" for a particular subject, I take it to mean that such book is as relevant today as it was when it was published, and that it remains a primary resource on the subject in question. Although it has priceless historical value, I doubt that any modern-day magicians consult Scot's book when they want to learn how to perform.

The Wikipedia entry also stated that Scot's book "helped to lift the ban on 'entertaining' magic that was imposed by the Catholic Church." That's an interesting observation, but I tend to doubt that it's correct. Has anyone read this theory somewhere other than Wikipedia?

Clay

P.S. Jonathan: regarding your comment, "the first book printed for distribution to show off the press has plenty of magic in it even if it contains admonishments against the practice of the craft," what's the title of this book?
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Just found this article will searching around on the topic of oldest maic books.

"De viribus quantitatis (On The Powers Of Numbers) was penned by Luca Pacioli, a Franciscan monk who shared lodgings with Da Vinci and is believed to have helped the artist with The Last Supper.

It was written in Italian by Pacioli between 1496 and 1508 and contains the first ever reference to card tricks as well as guidance on how to juggle, eat fire and make coins dance. It is also the first work to note that Da Vinci was left-handed"

http://mathforum.org/library/view/70045.html
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The first book solely devoted to the craft of conjuring is believed to be Prevost's Clever and Pleasant Inventions published in France in 1584. There are other books containing sections on conjuring that predate Prevost, but his tome is the first completely dedicated to the craft.
It was recently translated into English and published by the Hermetic Press.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
One could make a very good argument that Prevost's book was not solely devoted to magic, but that would distract from the key point: Prevost's book is an important early work which discusses conjuring as we know it today.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27316 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-06 18:57, Clay Shevlin wrote:
... Prevost's book is an important early work which discusses conjuring as we know it today.

Early dishes of Criss Angel and David Blaine?
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Who know what specific card tricks was on "De viribus quantitatis"?
Same question about Prevost book.
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Maybe William Kalush (a magician and the founder of the Conjuring Arts Research Centre in New York) can give us more insight into this book since he funded the project to have it translated. Anyone know him by chance?

this is what I could gather so far:

"Tricks in the magic text include how to write a sentence on the petals of a rose, wash your hands in molten lead, and make an egg walk across a table ("commoners will consider it a miracle"). The book contains some of the first known European examples of numerical puzzles, which are similar to those printed in today's newspapers, such as Sudoku.

There is also a diagram of a moving piece puzzle which was the medieval version of the Rubik's cube."

The link for more info:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/forgott......entSwap1
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-