The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Nest of boxes plans? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I was wondering if anyone knows of plans for a nest of boxes, now that I have ordered my Wolf's Ring Grinder? Thanks -

Bill
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
In Tommy Wonder's books there are 5 (I think) plans for various types of Nest Of Box routines.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My "Ring in Nested Boxes" in The Wizards' Journal # 11 (on my site) will work for this. It uses ordinary cardboard nesting boxes from the Dollar Store, or get unpainted papier mache boxes from the Oriental Trading Company and decorate them yourself. The boxes are ungimmicked for my effect, so any boxes you can make which nest will work, even the nested Russian dolls or eggs at craft stores. The ring actually ends up in a ball of yarn (you can claim it is your valuable string collection which you have been saving up since you were five). Also, to match the whacky nature of the ring grinder routine you can have other "junk" fall out of the ball of yarn before finally ending up with the ring.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Thanks for the replies. I do not have the Tommy Wonder books, but am going to borrow a friend's books this evening and have a look. I will check out the wizard's journal article, as this may also be a viable option, and would free me from having to gimmick the boxes. I'll let you know what I come up with -

Bill
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7569 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I made my own nest of boxes from colourful cardboard boxes purchased at a dollar store. I also bought some thin black ribbon to tie the lid down with. Ribbon glued to bottom of box, wraps up and around both sides to tie in a bow on top. (I'll bet Spellbinder would be proud of me. Smile )

I made my set about 8 years ago, and it's seen hundreds of performances. Now starting to show it's wear.

Got the general idea of how to make them, after watching Sammy Smith do his ring to nest of boxes routine, on one of his kid show videos.

Next, I am planning to purchase a professionally made set from wood, etc. to replace my current set. Most likely a Charvet set.

Of course, I could replace it very econically right now, with just a quick trip to the dollar store.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
How many Tommy Wonder books do I have to look through? Any specific book? I've been planning on building a set myself.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
There are 3 methods explained in detail in The Books Of Wonder Vol. 2. They are for the Watch In Nest Of Boxes, but you can use anything.

I found Method 2 (and Tommy says this too) to be the easiest to build. The other methods rely on moderate to advanced, very advanced in some cases, mechanical skills.

One might be better of buying a Nest Of Boxes.

But, when you get The Books Of Wonder Vol. 2 (which is still in print!!!) you'll get a ton of other very useful effects and Tommy's wonderful essays.

Josh London
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 15:44, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I made my own nest of boxes from colourful cardboard boxes purchased at a dollar store. I also bought some thin black ribbon to tie the lid down with. Ribbon glued to bottom of box, wraps up and around both sides to tie in a bow on top. . . .

Got the general idea of how to make them, after watching Sammy Smith do his ring to nest of boxes routine, on one of his kid show videos.

I did exactly the same thing after seeing Sammy's routine. Only I spray painted the boxes to the get the colors I wanted. So far they've held up well.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7569 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Good to hear, Scott.

I was blessed to find boxes with different colours of metalic (prismic) paper glued to them. A silver box, a red box, a gold box, etc. They look pretty nice.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here is a little FYI...

Around Christmas time, many stores carry among their aisles of seasonal gifts, "towers" of goodies, such as candies, cookies, etc. I have found these many times as sets of nesting boxes. While many of them might come with a holiday theme, some are generic enough (just bright colors) to be used as is. Of course, they can always be recovered, or painted.

I have used such boxes to make two different types of this effect in question. For stage use where angles are controlled, I have the nest sitting in view the whole time. The inner box is gimmicked, and behind the stack sits a "ready to receive" Lippincott type box. The nested boxes are ribbon-tied, with the ribbon permanently attached to the bottoms of each box. This prevents accidental loss when packing up later.

As each box is opened and the inner contents removed, that open box is rebuilt, and subsequent boxes stacked upon it, forming an ever increasing pyramid.

As the final box of the nest is removed, it is placed down momentarily (you know where), just as the stack is pushed aside to clear the area. On to the finish.

The second method that I started working with more recently allows for more surrounded conditions, but the box must be hidden prior to loading.

In this case, I took each lid, and split two corners so that one side of each lid was a hinged flap. The lid is replaced on the box and the hinged flap was glued to the box. Each box then had an attached lid that would open and close via that hinge.

This nest is pre-set ala the old "Jiffy Coin Trick", complete with rubberbands. Custom loading gimmicks can easily be made to accommodate various sized objects, compelled by the sizes of the boxes and the routine desired.

For this method, it is strongly suggested that a sequence of events be devised that leads the audience to believe the object to be vanished is still in play after the nest has been loaded and brought into view.

The first method requires carefully choreographed moves to best work the trick, while the second method requires some subtle psychological ploys. I have never seen Sammy Smith's routine, but assume it is similar to the first method I described here. The basic idea is old as the hills and there are many slight variations of this in print, as well as those once or currently marketed. The cardboard gift box idea is a natural leap of thought for anyone who sees them and already understands at least one method of the trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
cadillaczak
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of cadillaczak
I have the visions of wonder videos...all of them. They cover the same materials in the books I think, but one question: Do the books have more detailed plans? Do they have pictures and blueprints of the nest of boxes. It is tough to build one from just listening to Tommy explain verbally what he did...
cadillaczak
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of cadillaczak
I have the visions of wonder videos...all of them. They cover the same materials in the books I think, but one question: Do the books have more detailed plans? Do they have pictures and blueprints of the nest of boxes. It is tough to build one from just listening to Tommy explain verbally what he did...
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
The Books of Wonder Vol 2 has excellent drawings of the boxes and other goodies, but they are not blue prints. He does, however, give a few measurements for method #3 involving an alarm clock.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com