The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Starting a stage/illusion show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
blakeherridge
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of blakeherridge
Hello all,
My name is Blake Herridge and I have been doing close up magic for a while. I am a professional magician doing table hopping at many restaurants. I have been wanting to develop a stage/illusion show. Mainly a few illusions that play big and pack small like Raizorwire. And stuff like multiplying bottles... I haved saved up around 500 dollars for starting a stage show. I know that not enough but with that amount of money what would yall suggest to buy? What are some good inexpensive illusions and stage effects?
Thanks Blake
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
UF Grant Victory Cartons book (Illusions out of cardboard)
any thing Andrew Mayne.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I agree with Victory Carton and suggest you use foamcore panels instead of cardboard. With various tapes and corner pieces (available from many retail display selling stores as display parts) with some stick on finishes your stuff will look good -- but not be as durable as pro made stuff.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
blakeherridge
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of blakeherridge
Where might I get UF grant victory carton book. any other idea
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
I like andrew maynes illusions they are very clever and not to expensive also remember in an stage show you need smaller tricks to do during the illusions. Look into Jeff McBrides stage videos they are a great introduction to stage magic.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you feel up to making your own illusions, Jim Gerrish's "PVC Pipe Illusions for the REALLY, REALLY Cheap Illusiuonist" can show you the way to making your first big illusions inexpensively and which can then become proto-types for building classier versions of the illusions that work out well for you in the PVC pipe stage. It's on my site, along with other stage magic and illusion ideas for the "Do-It-Yourself" magician/builder.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I'd say to pick a theme first. Do as much research as you can into what's possible. Design as much as possible of the plot of the show before building it... it's very easy to waste a lot of money on cool tricks that end up not fitting you show.

Good Luck,
Paul