The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Making a clear bowlingball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
Does anyone here have any tips on what materials I can use to make a crystal clear bowling ball? Making the mold is no problem, but what should I use for the actual ball? I need something that's going to be hard but not fragile, and I don't want it to cloud up on me or scratch too easily (I know some scratches are to be expected with regular use)

I was wondering if anyone here has cast any clear objects and can recomend the best stuff to use. Much appreciated.

Draco
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I would think acrylic would work well. That's the stuff that a lot of contact juggling balls are made of.

Josh London
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You can probably get one custom made somewhere, I've seen them in use before, often with "unique" things suspended in the middle of them. Check with a bowling alley's pro shop or do a net search on custom made bowling balls. You might find materials there as well.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Try these folks:

Clear Bowling Balls
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2007-04-28 23:29, amosmc wrote:
Try these folks:
Clear Bowling Balls

Oops!...Out of stock on the plain transparent.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Quote:
On 2007-04-28 20:52, Nyte Dragon wrote:
Does anyone here have any tips on what materials I can use to make a crystal clear bowling ball?

Buying one pre-made would be my preferred solution. The time and materials required to DIY would probably cost more than purchasing the commercially available product.

But if I *had* to do it from scratch, I'd probably go with Smooth On's "Crystal Clear 200" casting resin. http://www.smooth-on.com

Good luck!

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 07:52, AmazingEARL wrote:
But if I *had* to do it from scratch, I'd probably go with Smooth On's "Crystal Clear 200" casting resin. http://www.smooth-on.com

...as long as you don't drop it!
;)
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
I'd love to buy one, trust me, but sadly it's not an option. I'm in need of a few quite different ones, and one that I'm adding a slot to so I can slip in and remove a playing card. Plus we need a few other custom things with the others. If buying a pre-made ball were an option, I'd love to do it, but I've been out voted.

I'll definately check with some places that make them, however, and ask what they used. I didn't think of that before. Great idea.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
If anyone has access to hollywood prop-builders, they might have some ideas. The reason I say that is, one was used in the movie The Mystery Men. The Bowler had her father's skull in a crystal bowling ball.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You can actually buy a skull bowling ball...
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 13:17, amosmc wrote:
...as long as you don't drop it!

Why not? "Crystal Clear" is actually a very durable plastic. Their "Smash" plastic is the stuff used to make breakaway bottles. Smile
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The only thing I have used Crystal Clear for is casting fake water for model railroad layouts, and that has been quite a while. We had to do this in several layers to prevent the formation of bubbles. The material would also crack pretty readily when something fell on it.

I would think that casting something the size of a bowling ball would require special casting equipment, and a lot of pressure to prevent bubbles. Also, the Smooth-On website shows Crystal Clear 206 as the preferred product for castings greater than 6 inches thick. I readily admit, however, that this is out of my range of knowledge.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
Looks like I've found somewhere to turn. I've a friend of mine who's brother is in the movie special effects field, and he will be able to cast my ball for me