The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Straightening Plywood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Is there a way to remove a slight bow from a fairly good-sized piece of plywood? I have a piece approximately 2' x 3' that will work for what I am making, but it has just enough of a bow to be aggravating.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Aaron Chee
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Aaron Chee
How big is the plywood? How Thick is the plywood ?

Regards
Aaron Chee
Ace Illusions

Email: info@aceillusions.com
Mobile: +65 81836672, Facsimile: +65 62530656
www.AceIllusions.com
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
I've never been able to successfully do this - but if anyone has a suggestion, boy I'd like to hear it as well! Of course, it's going to go sooner or later...depending on the thickness.

Eagerly awaiting expertise...
-amanda
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
In the absence of sufficient information (ie: Overall material thickness, amount of deformation [.001, .005 etc], ply thickness, to name a few) I can be of no help. Running the stock through a planner is what I would suggest, however with no real details I can not recommend even this.

Bill
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The piece is approximately 2' x 3'. The thickness is 3/4" (or whatever they sell now as 3/4"). It is oak veneer plywood, 11-ply, including the face veneer.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Lowes sells 2x4 pieces of 3/4 ply, I would just get another piece. If you are strapped for cash you might try propping it bow side up on a couple of bricks and piling books or more bricks in the middle. Check it once a week or so, it might work, but I would never trust it to remain flat.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Forget using a machining operation on bowed material with a veneer facing, the material will most likely be destroyed (the veneer will be compromised). You might try putting the sheet on some concrete blocks and sleeping on it for a couple of nights. Smile

Bill
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You could do it with steaming, but it would be a lot more expensive than it would be to just go buy another piece.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Find the guy who sold you the junky piece of wood and beat him over the head with it. That's always good for straightening out something. Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Aaron Chee
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Aaron Chee
Hm..

Is this piece of wood important to you .. Another word, you can't get the same kind of wood ?

Here is the method to make the wood straight back...AS what photius said steaming.

Steaming is the way to make the wood soft which enables you to do bending. Steam the wood for 2-3 hrs and take two piece of super flat wood and clap over it. Determine the flatness of the wood using a water level meter.

Once you determine the flatness of the both wood to be clap over the steamed/warped wood with G-Clamp or F-Clamp. Let the steamed/warped wood to be sandwich in between and place under the hotsun. It take 2-3 days for the wood to be straighten out. But remember when in the process of clamping DO NOT clamp in such a way that the wood is warp diaganolly..Make sure you clamp staight. If you are unsure, use the level meter again.

After describe the method of staightening the wood,its a teadious job. I will be much better to get a new piece of wood from a lumberyard. Save time and effort. The only problem will be where or how near the lumberyard will be.

Cheers my friend.

Regards
Aaron Chee.
Ace Illusions

Email: info@aceillusions.com
Mobile: +65 81836672, Facsimile: +65 62530656
www.AceIllusions.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The wood isn't "junky" wood, but it just has about a 1/4" (or less) bow in it. . For most things it would be fine, but this is causing a Sub Trunk t*** to not line up exactly right. Any other piece of plywood from the same store and stack will probably have the same issues, because I am in the humid South.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Humid south may and may not effect it. Some of the largest plywood makers are in the humid south. Type of plywood will have a lot of effect. Is it solid core, birch, hardwood plywood, hardwood veneer plywood, etc. Generally if I'm having trouble with a "fit" I resort to a solid core hardwood plywood, as a general rule they are a less likely to be bowed or warped.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
Quote:
On 2007-04-27 23:25, Aaron Chee wrote:
Hm..

Is this piece of wood important to you .. Another word, you can't get the same kind of wood ?

Here is the method to make the wood straight back...AS what photius said steaming.

Steaming is the way to make the wood soft which enables you to do bending. Steam the wood for 2-3 hrs and take two piece of super flat wood and clap over it. Determine the flatness of the wood using a water level meter.

Once you determine the flatness of the both wood to be clap over the steamed/warped wood with G-Clamp or F-Clamp. Let the steamed/warped wood to be sandwich in between and place under the hotsun. It take 2-3 days for the wood to be straighten out. But remember when in the process of clamping DO NOT clamp in such a way that the wood is warp diaganolly..Make sure you clamp staight. If you are unsure, use the level meter again.

After describe the method of staightening the wood,its a teadious job. I will be much better to get a new piece of wood from a lumberyard. Save time and effort. The only problem will be where or how near the lumberyard will be.

Cheers my friend.

Regards
Aaron Chee.

Really good idea. Or use one of those two really flat pieces to replace the bowed wood.

However, I would suggest just getting a new piece as well. I'm in the humid south myself, but you can find a straight piece of wood. Just go out, look, and make dang sure it's straight before you buy. Take it home and use it ASAP.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
A tip I learned the hard way is to store plywood flat. The glue and plys will creep and bow if stored on edge. Humidity is a factor, but gravity is a larger one.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I never keep enough plywood on hand to have to store it.

What I ended up doing was to spray the concave side with a fairly heavy mist of water. I then covered it with clear polyethylene sheeting (Visqueen), "sealed" around the edges with boards and bricks, and set it in the sun. Since there wasn't a large amount of bow to remove, I monitored it carefully until it was just a bit past where I needed it, then removed the plastic.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Good luck with it, I have tried that sort of thing, but once the moisture content stabilized it warped again. My advice (worth what you paid for it) is not to use it in in anything that will stop your show if it returns to its old dimensions. In the future, if you can find it, you might try to use lumber core plywood as an earlier poster mentioned. You might try a cabinet shop.