The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: Which switch activates the light? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
I have a real life puzzle for you, first let me describe the area of event.

1. There is a room which has no windows and only one door.
2. There is a light in the centre of the ceiling, (lampshade/bulb)
3. Outside the room there are 3 switches A, B and C, you cannot see them from inside
4. You can position the switches any way you wish
5. You enter the room only ONCE and must stay inside untill you correctly answer
6. You are on your own with no assistance in any way

Starting at the switches, A is off ,B is off, C is off.

Which switch activates the light? well ill give a little clue, it could be any of them, so the question really is how would you work it out!

Have fun.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I can think of a way that would work with incandescent bulbs and another that would work with fluorescent bulbs. Does the investigator know which it is?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Just an ordinary filament bulb.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Hahaha it's an old classic...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
What are the rules?
Do you get to switch the switches?
When?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Start at the switches, flick the switches on/off any way you wish, enter the room when you are ready to do so, advise which switch activated the light and the method you used to work it out.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4716 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
CLUE: What does a light bulb produce besides light?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have the answer....are we supposed to tell?
Seattle guys would get this right away Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
PM'd you.

Fredd
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think everyone knows but doesn't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't!

I'd never thought about flourescent bulbs and am interested in what Mr Townsend's solution for them is.

Real life puzzle? Can anyone think of any reason for rule 5 to be appropriate in a real life situation?

George
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
George,

You are really lazy?

0pus
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
If you turned on two switchs & left them on awhile, then turned one off & touched the bulb, that would tell you right?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
I know the method for flourecent lights. Its the same, you just have to wait longer, say an hour as opposed to a filament where a minute should suffice.

As for rule #5 in real life situations, maybe not. But movie situations like Saw, Saw 2, and Saw 3, are life death puzzles. Come to think of it, how many movies are out there where people are forced to solve puzzles to save their lives. Every episode of Batman fighting the Riddler has this.

MR
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 02:14, The Mighty Fool wrote:
If you turned on two switchs & left them on awhile, then turned one off & touched the bulb, that would tell you right?

Yes and No. You turn on one switch for a while, turn it off. Then you switch on the second switch and leave it on. You do not even touch the third switch. Walk into the room and you will have all the information you need to solve the puzzle.
MR
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That pretty much sums up what elmago said, doesn't it? One switch on, one switch on then off and one switch untouched. The timing is slightly different than his but the outcome should be the same.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
One switch on for a long time....Turn it off and turn on the second switch and enter the room. That's all you need to do. You don't need to touch the third switch. Smile
The Bean
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of The Bean
Oh YEA! Go Dad! I learned this one in 3rd grade! Yea! Everyone in seattle knows this one! Oh, and for George, what if you locked yourself in the room on accident, and had to wait for the police to get there, or maybe someone told you to do this puzzle in real life, wouldnt that practically make every puzzle "real life" possibe if that makes any sense!?

:cuteangel:
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Hey Bean...when you gonna get a picture. I like the one on my phone Smile
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
Don't go inside the room, keep the door open and watch if the light turns on when you flick the switch.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
First, you get yourself a really large hammer. Then you take aim at the wall...! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!