The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Make a Rolla bola? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Ok...It is not technically an illusion of any sort, but I want one, and it seems simple enough. Small Piece of good plywood, two hardwood stops, some self adhesive step grip stuff, a bit of heavy duty PVC and some rubberised grip tape.
Am I missing something?
Anyone ever try to make one?
Gwyd
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
...got my doubts about the "heavy duty PVC", but give it a go, it might work!
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
Sounds good to me...what's the worst that could happen?
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Urm...A cracking noise and I wind up standing on a board on the ground.
Open for suggestions on the rolla part in place of the PVC pipe...
I know that is what they use on the rolla bolla offered by Dube.com
http://www.dube.com/dube/index.html
Any thoughts?
G.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Normally in a situation like this I would say "break a leg", but... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
You can get some large diameter pipes form the irrigation stores, though they tend to be Aluminum. If you stay with the PVC, you might sleeve up a couple of sizes for extra umph!
In a pinch, a welding shop might be able to find you a hunck of old gas cylinder to use, they come in different sizes, the short ones are about 3-4 inches in diameter if I recall, they will be heavy, but that would make them a bit slower too I think, and less likely to kite out from under the board. some of the guys like to use the dished bottoms of the cylinders for dishing bowls/stumps in smith work.
Talk to your Grinder Girl! I bet she knows where to find one!!! ;}
kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I've made a couple rola bolas before. Here'a a link for the tube:

http://www.seriousjuggling.com/OP_CircusEquipment.htm

I use hardware store type pvc from and it's always been fine. However, one usually has to buy pvc in long, expensive lengths. So, the link is the way to go. I've had my hand in construction for years, so I cut mine out of scraps. My buddy likes a larger diameter pipe. He says it helps him from falling off. I use a 4" pipe.

I've used Dube rola bolas and they are nice. But, there's nothing special about them except for skateboard-like graphics. I would say that this is the perfect do-it-yourself project.

I'm a bit of a wood geek, so I rounded my corners and routed my edges. However, you could get away by building one of these with only a circular say and a handfull of clamps if you were careful.

Best of luck.

Chad
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Kay...
I make most of the grinder girls stuff!! Along with being in shows with her, I am the props master and one of the two costume designer/creators. So no help will be forthcoming from her. (Thanks for paying attention though!!)
I like the sleeving idea to buff up the PVC a bit.
Chad- Thanks for the link! Good to hear from someone who has made one before. My real concern was that I was missing something. It just seems too simple.
I guess really that it is just as simple as it seems!
I'll post up a pic when I have it done!
Thanks all!
Gwyd
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
<blush> I think she's cute! but don't tell Tory I said so!! ;}
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Happy to help. PM me if you'd like dimensions or pics of mine. I did not create the proportions myself. They are from a commercially sold product (any guesses???).
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
We make Rolla Bolla's at White Magic. We use 10" PVC pipe. It will hold 250 lbs. with no problem. You can get it at any home improvment store. The problem is, it comes in 10 ft. lengths. You might get a local plumber to cut you a short peice.

We use 3/4" plywood for the boards.