The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Wanting Opinions on my Magic Performing Cabinet/Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Hey guys. I have practiced magic on and off throughout the years but never with a goal of performing. Recently I got the bug and have been setting up various routines and whatnot. I was looking for a rolling cabinet that I could keep various magic supplies and the ability to perform my tricks on the top of the cabinet. I really couldn't find what I was looking for so I'm building it.

At first I was going to do it out of wood, but since I work at a sign manufacturing shop, I decided to go with 1/2" Celtec. It's a highly compressed foam display board...pvc basically. The reason I went this way is because I can cut it all out on our computerized router and assembly would be a lot easier. Anyway, I'm going to cover this in a rough wool felt covering with a velvet pad on top to perform on.

Here are my mock-ups:

http://www.podcastrant.com/Images/db001.jpg --exterior

http://www.podcastrant.com/Images/cd001.jpg --interior

The door side view probably needs explaining. The top downward slope is just to shield what I have in the 1" tray (various coins) from the spectators. The bottom two sloping pockets are for packs of cards (four per pocket). The padded sliding shelf in the main portion of the cabinet is to be able to get rid of things quickly and quietly.

As you can tell I started with a 18"x18" performing area and have decided to switch it to a 24" x 18" performing area. Please let me know what you think and if you have any improvements.

chad
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
You'll be glad of the extra performing area. Really its down to your own requirements and what suits you may not suit others in terms of storage space, performing area etc. All I can say is that if it works for you, that's all that matters. Be sure to take time to get it right, don't cut corners and you'll have a cabinet for life. Yes, I like it and it would probably suit me actually in terms of size and storage areas. Consider using a BA well in the top, and if you'll be moving it around a lot its better to spend that little extra on good rubber castors,as opposed to the cheaper black plastic ones. Have a cover made also to protect the finish.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
I think you'll find 42" may be too tall for performing. Often kids are sitting on the floor up close and I can tell you 42" is too tall for them to see. Also, I would solve the issue of the doors during performance - you don't want them open and flapping in the way - have them fully retractable inside the cabinet so you can pull them out and close them when you pack up - otherwise they are just in the way. Otherwise, it looks very functional. I would recommend studying other tables for magicians such as those designed by Joe Leflar. There is a lot here on the Café about his work/products.............
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Thanks for the advice Mark and Robert. The reason for the 42" is that I'm 6'-3" and that's at my waist level. Most of the parties that I'm going to start playing are for adults where 3 or 4 are huddled around me at a time. Thanks for the perspective on kid's parties, I hadn't thought about that.

I'll definitely check out the Joe Leflar stuff.

Mark, I understand the BA well in theory, but since I've never owned a table or performed out I don't understand it from the construction standpoint. I've looked around on the net but can't find any specs. Is there anywhere I can find info about it?
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

There is a whole section on the use of BA but it is restricted to members with 50 posts or more and is in The Banquet Room. There's some really useful stuff there. The best thing I can think of to take a look at (just for a basic idea of the built in method) is here...

http://www.emagictricks.co.uk/product_in......_id=3430

You'll see the design on the table is effective with what you're trying to accomplish. However, this will obviously only work if your audience aren't too close to your table. Angles can be a little tricky.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Adjusting the height for you is a good idea, you don't want to be performing in a stoop. Like the compartmentalization plan you have there, lots of organized storage space.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Thanks photius.

Mark, I'll have to scratch the BA well then, since the audience will be a couple of feet away from me.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

You could build one in and when your audience are up close place a close-up mat (cut to the size of your table top) over it to hide it. Or build it so that it has a small door on the underside of the table top. When its closed it can be locked from underneath and will blend in with the rest of the surface. Sneaky. Thinking now, it could be spring loaded so that when you want something to vanish you can make it do so under cover of some sort, and when the cover is removed, nothing will be detectable. May not be practical for you but may open up your cabinet for many more uses?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When you post pictures of any kind, it is a good idea to use your photo manipulating software to rotate them to the proper orientation so that the person who looks at them doesn't have to lie on his side to read them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Sorry Bill,

I posted those fast from work one day.

I now have completed the cabinet. You can see pictures at my Flickr page below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/podcastrant......7737958/

The performance area is 24" x 20"

There are a couple of additions that have come up. I am going to need to install some magnetic door locks to back the doors stay shut. They tend to open slightly. I'll a picture of the wind guard (removable top) in a couple of days.

Good or bad, let me know what you think.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Very nice, I like it a lot!

You may want to install a locking hasp type thing to lock the doors shut, instead of the padlock you have rigged up.

http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/ProdI......aple.jpg

Sam Pearce
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Podcastrant,

Superb table. Excellent in both design and appearance!
I'm green with envy!

Best wishes,

Lester
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Thanks guys. Since this is the first thing that I've built since 7th grade shop class, I'm really happy with it. I'm 30 now so it's been awhile.