The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Flying Mongoose! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Anyone used or have experience with this? Smile
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It is a $65 gag. I don't think that it's for me.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Nice idea for introducing Rocky Raccoon...but not for $65. The ball that rolls in every direction in a paper bag would be just as effective. I think these are still available in toy stores.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
This is a very old idea. I remember seeing this in the late 1950s, early 1960s. About 5 years ago, I made one for myself. I did, however, have to build it 3 times to get it just right. Mine would blow this one out of the water.

Gerry
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I've got one out in the garage not being used, if you're interested or in the market...

Lyndel
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
I don't use it in my show. I keep mine in my work shed. When folks visit and we end up in the shed, I show 'em what I caught under the shed. It's is a hoot! People literally spazz out when it lands on them. For me, worth every penny!!!

I love it...as a gag. Warning...too scary for little kids. You will make them cry.

DeWayne
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 16:53, Al Angello wrote:
It is a $65 gag. I don't think that it's for me.
Al Angello

$65 for something that you can use in your show?? I don't get it... If it fits your show, your character, and is well made, then what price would you be willing to pay. I don't get it when some people expect to pay something that takes people time to create, time to build, time to market and sell. The original post ask if anyone has used it or has any experience with it.... We don't, and so we probably shouldn't be posting.

I will buy one because it's a utility prop one can use to introduce pretty much any small prop for your next routine... It's so valuable, I keep it right here next to my attack chicken.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I think Al was just giving his opinion; that it's not for him, and he can't warrant paying $65 for a small gag. Simple, if it's for you, buy it. If not, well, don't.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mark,
My comment was a matter of style. God knows I have spent more than that on tricks I feel fit into my show.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

My personal opinion is that $65 is a lot to spend on a quick gag. I would much rather spend it on tricks, but that's because the gag wouldn't suit my show.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
IMHO, this is the kind of stuff that kids really like...things flying out, water squirting, and most other types of controlled mayhem. Remember, entertainment and fun is as important as the magical moments.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@DeWayne

That's what I was wondering about. The effect it had on the parents if they were invited up. If they wet their pants or not when it SPRANG on them Smile
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Great Smartini,

Please let us know what its like when you get it, and what other uses it could have (ie, what else could be flung from it).

Mark
Mark Daniel
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I have this prop, and while the Hank Lee advert exaggerates slightly about being able to "propel" a whole Rocky with the apparatus, it does raise some kiddie eyebrows when I pull it out. It's got the "intrigue intangibles" going for it, although I'd wait for a 25 percent off sale before buying . . . Magicmarkdaniel has a good point. I do get some suspense and laughs out of it, however, and it fits a 20 min raccoon bit I am constructing with the Zig-zag raccoon and the dagger disappearance, etc.

Mumblemore Magic

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 10:34pm
On second thought . . . save your money on this one. Anyone wanna buy one. It is clever and does, as Smartini suggests, introduce any small animal prop. But the thing is heavy and bulky . . . Anyone wanna buy mine? I'll pay half the freight.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I use only 1 time,they scare a kid and never go back to any show...but if you like to try, go ahead!Maybe for you works!,
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I bought Todd's, and I really like it. Like most props, it can be quick or you can draw it out. I should be able to get 3-4 minutes out of it with no problem. I have only done it with my 5 y/o. This can EASILY scare young kids - so take care. I plan to use it as a "rare" kissing mongoose that loves licking kids faces. This should take a lot of the fear out. It has the same thrill as a Jack-in-the-box - except it actually leaves the box.

I set it up and left it in my living room. While in the kitchen I heard my son yelp, but when I asked what was wrong, he said "nothing Papa". Later I was looking at the box and noticed the "Mongoose" was no longer in it. My son had set it off, and then re-set it to cover his tracks. *L* He then told me "It must have escaped". I re-set it , and Aidan was still curious. When it jumped at him he ran out the door and peered through the crack of the door and the doorway. He has asked me many times this morning and last night to "play mongoose" (and we have)- he loves it, but it still scares him.

As for size, it doesn't pack flat, but it isn't huge either. I figure it is around 4 pounds. It looks pretty rough, about what you would expect for a shipping crate . . .

This IS NOT a prop for every act, but for some, it can work well.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Thad,

Add a Weasel Ball (a couple of web sites sell them for about $6) and you'll have some animation of a tail sticking out of the back of cage and wiggling around before flicking the tail ... There is a lot you can do with it.

Have fun.

Todd
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Yes, I have one - bought it at the Crackerbarrel. Thanks!
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
I used one for years. I added a unit to perform Terry Seabrooke mind reading card and had Rocky chew the chosen card out of his 'newspaper'. Used it well for 10 years, then got Doug Malloy's version and retired the flying mongoose box.

Played well for a long time.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Isaac,

Hey, that is a great idea! Mind if I use it? It could also make a great "chicken sword"!