The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Installing Rivets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-04-21 01:56, Michael Baker wrote:
[...]
What are the specific properties that make these two woods desirable over something like say, hard maple, cherry, or other very common dense, tight-grained woods that machine nicely?

~michael

Michael,

Hard maple (often called Eastern Maple) is actually too dense for this application; additionally, it requires more effort to sand smooth and can be prone to splitting. I would consider Cherry too soft for this application.

Boxwood is very strong, stable (not prone to warping) and machines beautifully. I have used it for years for decorative inlay rings in pool cues, as well as small jigs and forming dies for thermoplastics. It makes great carved originals from which to splash off silicone casting molds. It will work fine for your application, though Western Maple would probably be sufficient, and cheaper/more available.

Best Regards,
TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thomas,

Noted. Thanks! As I mentioned, Woodcraft here has quite a bit of 4/4 Boxwood in stock. For the items I make, which are smaller, one decent sized board would last me quite a while, and isn't going to run that much. I forgot the bd. ft. price, but I recall not being shocked when I saw it.

Regards,

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Have you considered using Chicago screws??
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I thought about suggesting them, but for some reason I was under the impression he was looking for a flush finish, and I've never seen chicago screws with flush heads (for a countersunk hole). I've also never seen the "c" in chicago screws capitalized, but it makes sense that it should be... so what do I know?

In re-reading the thread I fail to find mention of a need for a flush finish, so I guess I imagined that part.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I said "... bolts/nuts stick out the back" and "flush with the wood", so I was looking for as flush a finish on the back side as possible. Thanks for your suggestions. If the hinges came countersunk on the back side, life would be perfect.

;)
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
1/2" ply is thick enough for a threaded insert or T-Nut as Craig posted earlier. Both have the advantage of using machine screws, no wood displaced and able to be retightened or disassembled if needed. Lok-tite the threads and I think you will not have much trouble with it falling apart.

I used inset T-nuts on my huge entertainment center, it has been moved three times and never had any problems with loose or stripped screws.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Dear Amosmc,

I have another suggestion for attaching piano hinge to plywood (especially thin plywood). Try screw and posts. I get mine at True Value. You can also find them on the internet. You can find them in steel, and I normally use some lock tite to make sure they don't come undone. This creates a strong, clean, flush connection.

Brock Edwards
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Dear Amosmc,The rivet setter that mkiger mentioned is what we used to use at a fabrication shop I worked at years ago. When we weren't using the rivet machine we set them by hand on small repairs or tough spots. You just have to have the right rivet diamenter as per tool. Contact a rivet supplier they will have the tools as well. You won't find them at Home Depot or Ace. This is what you need for the flat finish you want, but as said, you may have to inset a washer on the flared side with a tight fit so as to really get a drawn up squeezed set.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thanks for the information. That is what I was looking for.

Can you suggest a supplier that might be willing to sell in "magician-sized" (smaller) quantities?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...