The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Need Help With "INSTANT REPLAY" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sir Atfus
View Profile
New user
California
15 Posts

Profile of Sir Atfus
INSTANT REPLAY is a flourish that can be found in Art Of Astonishment Vol. 3 by Paul Harris. Basically you fling the top card off the deck, it does a half turn, and ends face up in your right hand, then your right hand flings the card, it does a full turn, and lands back on top of the deck face down. This is so dang hard!!! I have the second part down, I can fling the card back on top of the deck, but I can't figure the knack for flinging the card from the deck to the waiting hand. If anyone here can do this flourish, I would appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance!
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
The only advice I can give is - don't give up! Sit down with a deck and just do the first half of the move and you'll get it within a few hours.

Once you have it sorted out, there's so much more you can do with it, other than a flourish. I'm about to publish a colour change with it and have a few other uses as well.

--Andi
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
when are you going to be publishing your color change Andi?

I actually have a really awesome color change that I use the instant replay flip with. I wonder if we have both discovered the same thing.

Let's talk.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
On 2002-02-04 04:00, Sir Atfus wrote:
This is so dang hard!!!

It is, as you say, "so dang hard."
The only thing you can really do is sit and experiment with different pressures and different finger positionings.

The thing that helped me out the most in the flicking the card from the deck was a slight turning of the left wrist (if you're right handed) in the direction you want the card to head.

Also, try hanging on to the card for a split second longer with your middle finger.
This should help you with the rotation of the card.

I find that the bend in the card should be just enough for you to get your index finger where it needs to be.
Excessive bending of the card can hinder its flight.

Just keep at it.
Hope this helps.

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Sir Atfus
View Profile
New user
California
15 Posts

Profile of Sir Atfus
Thanks for all the advice. Let me correctly describe my problem. It's not that I can't shoot the card off the deck. I can, but it does not land nicely on my right hand. It arrives to my right hand sometimes at diagonally, horizontally, perpendicularly... basically I have no control to make it land "Parallel" to the deck. Also, when you take it a step further and try to do the
"SIMPLE SWITCH," instead of a half turn, the card flying from the deck has to make a full turn. I can't figure out what makes it a half turn, and what makes it a full turn. But, I guess you're right, I've got to keep going at it. But more advice is still welcome. Thanks!
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2002-02-04 16:17, Lonnie Dilan wrote:
when are you going to be publishing your color change Andi?

It's already gone to the printers! It is mentioned in brief as part of a routine with three new colour changes in Freebie 3 - a booklet for the TSD Convention next month. I've been using it for nearly a year now and have shown it to quite a few magicians around here and it's received great reactions!

--Andi
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I so badly wanted to go to the TSD convention. I'm gonna try to make it out to New Orleans.

Andi, Where can I pick up a copy of your new color change?
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
I'm not sure that the booklet will actually be on sale. If you make it out to the TSD convention (are you a member?), you'll get a free one for attending, otherwise it'll be very tricky to get hold of a copy. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can do.

The routine is a collaboration with Ashford Kneitel and if you've ever seen his work before, you'll know why I value his input so much!

--Andi
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Yes I am a member of TSD, and yes, I have seen Ashford work. Whew!!

I would really appreciate a copy somehow... I don't think I will be able to make it out to New Orleans. My boss is set on having me work for some odd reason.
Noel
View Profile
Loyal user
Surrey, England
216 Posts

Profile of Noel
You can see a clip of me performing Instant Replay at http://www.wahlers.co.uk.