The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Plywood for Mismade Girl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Many years ago I built a Mismade Girl from Osborne plans. Although it worked pretty well, I built it from 1/4" birch plywood, and I seem to remember thinking that it was too thin. Looking back through my plans, the Mismade plan only specifies to use the same materials used in the Stack of Boxes, which is 1/4".

Have any of you built this and, if so, what did you use? I'm thinking of moving to 3/8" this time. Do any of you have a commercial version that you could measure to see what they used?

Thanks.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I used quarter ply.... I was stronger then. NOW I would likely use gator board or Sintra, with lamnante and reinfoced with aluminum.... and hire big guys to carry all the heavy boxes for me... And feathers! yeah, anything light....

But... seriously, I would lean toward 1/4 still, reinforced where needed.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Stay with 1/4" by all means, and as leapinglizzards suggests, reinforce it where needed. I helped a guy build one out of 1/2 in plywood (he originally was going with 3/8 but decided that would not be "heavey" enough. Those boxes were far too heavy to handle easy on stage. I wouldn't even go with the 3/8 inch, stay with 1/4 stock.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."