The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: First project (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mark Fifield
View Profile
New user
Barrie, On
51 Posts

Profile of Mark Fifield
Hello I want to start building my own props and want to know some good starting projects I have excellent access to tools and help (grandfathers a carpenter and dad is a cabinet maker) I was thinking a take apart box seems simple enough and there are designs in Mark Wilsons Complete course in Magic any other suggestions
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
"Begin to Build Your Own Illusions", by Paul Osborne is a pretty good beginning reference book.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Mark Fifield
View Profile
New user
Barrie, On
51 Posts

Profile of Mark Fifield
Thanks I will check it out
Mark Fifield
View Profile
New user
Barrie, On
51 Posts

Profile of Mark Fifield
Just looked at his website is there any volume you recommend because I don't have the money to buy them all so I'm probably only going to get one which one would you recommend
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Check on Ebay or Magicauction.com. There are alwys a few of his books up for sale one place or another
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Profile of Curt from Canada
I am in the same boat as you are, so to speak. I think and am planning on building a tip-over trunk but with a smaller scale, to make my puppy dog appear, or if that doesn't work out than maybe just use it for other things. The main part is that I will have built it
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Start with smaller projects until you get experience, even considering that of your family members. Magic props are quite different in many ways to cabinet making, and certainly carpentry. The smaller projects in the Mark Wilson book you mentioned, are perfect starting projects.

You may also want to get your hands on some Hoffman books, and others that were written when box magic was being invented. They don't really have working plans, but most are well illustrated as to the mechanics of the trick. You can learn to draw your own plans from these, and customize along the way.

For that matter, just start making notes while reading a magic catalog, even online. Some of the stuff you probably already know how it works. Use that as a starting point.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mark Fifield
View Profile
New user
Barrie, On
51 Posts

Profile of Mark Fifield
Thanks Micheal that very helpful I think I am defenitly going to start small with thinks like the take apart box and I really like the idea of the small scale tip over trunk.

P.S. Curt what part of Canada do you live in?
Curt from Canada
View Profile
New user
Canada eh!
77 Posts

Profile of Curt from Canada
Bc
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
Xi'an, China & London, England
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
I'm also very keen to build some stage illusions. At the moment, I'm only just starting out in that branch due to my current employer (an English school in China) wanting me to entertain their students on a twice-yearly basis. I managed to get away with a routine involving rings, ropes, paper streamers, a couple of silks and a very badly constructed arm cutter (so bad that I was sweating for the two performances because I really *would* cut someone's arm off if it went wrong). For the next show, I'd like to give them something a little more "spectacular" for a closer involving a fairly nice cab. Trouble is I have to rely on Chinese craftsmen reading translated blueprints and charging me a month's salary to make it (which really isn't a lot over here). Could anyone point me in the direction of the book with simple yet effective cabinet designs in at all? Greatly appreciate any help you can give me!
Random_Hajile
View Profile
New user
Xi'an, China & London, England
35 Posts

Profile of Random_Hajile
The Paul Osborne books are great. I picked up volume one and there's some really interesting stuff in there. Thanks for the tip! I built some small prototypes of the designs in there, and it's really helpful. I will definately recommend these to people starting out in illusion building.