The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Break glass and reveal card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Siclone
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Siclone
This appeared during Blaines special, don't know if you guys remember seeing it; I couldn't find a video.

The name of the book which it was taught passed my mind, can someone remind me?
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
A similar effect is in the book Ah-Ha
Siclone
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Siclone
That's the book!

Thank you
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
David Harkey and Eric Anderson's effect "Petrified" can indeed be found in "AH-HA".
It is far superior to the illogical trick (if you can call it that) performed by Mr. Blaine on his tv special.

Petrified is a closer, for sure. It kills.
It's all in the reflexes.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Petrified is very good. Siclone, if you're having trouble making the gimmick, contact me and I'll give you some of my methods.

Monte
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Hi guys,

I'm also interested in this effect, and don't have a copy of ah-ha. Could I get a better description of the effect found in this book to sway me the rest of the way into purchasing it?

Thanks,

Dustin
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Ah-HA! is a slim little volume containing a multitude of very different tricks. There are many novel ideas contained in there. Such us unlocking your car, when it can be seen that you've locked your keys inside also (great PR thing, if you can do something like this at an auto dealership. in my opinion), a bunch of matches suddenly light in a shot glass when you direct your thoughts at them, and, of course, petrified, where you slam a deck that your spec was holding through the trick, onto the ground, it shatters, and reveals only the selection.

I think it could be out of print, so grab it if you can find it!!!

Best,
Monte
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Montethrower, the shattering of the deck does not reveal the selection. You seem to be confusing Petrified with the crappy thing Blaine did.
It's a kind of time-travel effect, every step of the way the spectator being entreated to wave his/her hand over the deck and speak the amount of time it will traverse. First 2 seconds back in time, causing the spectator's card to appear on top of the deck where it was 2 seconds previous. Then, 2 minutes back in time, whence same said card ends up in the spectators hands where it was at the beginning. Finally, the spectator is told to cause the deck to travel 2 centuries forward in time. The entire deck transforms into solid petrified rock and is tossed to the table or ground where it shatters into pieces.

On another note, I've had trouble locating the office-supply packaging I formerly used as my mold. Any leads?
nitemares666
View Profile
New user
Michigan
46 Posts

Profile of nitemares666
Oh by the way you could buy the book here at MJM my fav. magig shop
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/ah-ha-davi......021.html
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Montethrower,

Thank you very much for the details of this volume. I've been gradually taking the advice of many on the Café, and increasing my library instead of my DVD collection. :-P This sounds great.

Nitemares,

Thanks for the link! I'm ordering it as we speak.

-Dustin
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Nitemares666, go back and watch the Blaine trick. It doesn't even make sense. There is no logic to it. It's confusing to watch.
Good magic shouldn't confuse.
Siclone
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Siclone
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 13:20, meauxfeaux wrote:
Nitemares666, go back and watch the Blaine trick. It doesn't even make sense. There is no logic to it. It's confusing to watch.
Good magic shouldn't confuse.

What's so confusing about it?
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
I received my copy of AH-HA! a couple of days ago, and have worked through some of the routines. There's some brilliant stuff in this volume, and I highly recommend it!

-Dustin
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Keep it quiet, Dustin! It's one of the bet kept secrets in magic.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Lol, I agree with you meauxfeaux. Hey by the way, did you ever find what I recommended to you? I hope it helped!
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
I mean....don't buy this book...it's not very good. Yeah...that's right.

Rory, that wasn't directed at me right?

-Dustin
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Hey Dustin,
No I PM'd Meauxfeaux a while back to recommend something. Sorry for the confusion.