The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: The Sands From Egypt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Hi everyone, I have had this effect for about a year now and have been having a lot of trouble getting together the chemicals for it. Recently, I wrote down all of the chemical names and gave them to my chemistry teacher for a little help. After several weeks of research, she told me should would advise me not to use them, that they could be potentially dangerous because I was handling them with bare hands, and even some could cause respiratory damage. Is this true? I mean come on, are they really gonna let you buy something that could be hazardous to your health?
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

~Paul Gauguin
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
Try this
http://www.magicauction.com/Mag_auc/stage.htm
search for the word "chemical"
thefifth
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thefifth
A good resource for chemical safety data is Hazard.com. It's the website we use for organic class.
[email]info@williampenix.com[/email]
www.williampenix.com
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2007-03-17 10:53, BondJames628 wrote:
Are they really gonna let you buy something that could be hazardous to your health?

"Surgeon General's Warning: Smoking causes lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and may complicate pregnancy."
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Just Allan has been doing that trick for a very long time. I don't think he has had any health problems because of that. You might want to contact him and ask. He is a very nice man.

-Matt
sawuin2
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of sawuin2
I have done the sands routine for a few years. I also know of a few others who have been doing it continuously for the past ten years. Obviously, they have not had any problems yet. It is obvious, however, to use great caution when using the chemicals (in particular, preventing yourself from inhaling or ingesting--which shouldn't be too difficult to prevent-ha). Also, the chemicals always have warnings as to the level of danger involved with handling them with your bare skin. And in reply to whether or not they would let you buy something that is hazardous to your health, yes... In order to purchase the chemicals, in most cases will require the seller to feel confident that you know what you're doing. I guess handling the chemicals is just a risk you have to be willing to take.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There are other ways to accomplish the same effect. I assume you only need the chemicals to turn the water blue or black at the start and then to clear it up again at the finish. You can turn the water blue or black using ordinary food dyes. Now you can dip your hands into the water with relative safety (except you may color your own skin in the process... but that should wash off with soap and water later on). The only chemical you need to clear up the water at the end is chlorene bleach - Clorox - or perhaps the new Oxygen bleaches will also work. However, they can be contained inside a magic wand and added to the water without using your hands.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicjoker
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of magicjoker
I am a chemist and a magician. The chemicals used are not toxic to the skin and cannot be absorbed. They are safe. I use them every day at work and the main chemical is found in tea. So do not be afraid of the chemicals. Just do not eat them.
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Thanks guys, this had me worried for a little bit. Could anyone tell me a good place to find these, and point me to the right chemicals? Thanks again!

-Taylor

~Paul Gauguin
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 18:14, magicjoker wrote:
I am a chemist and a magician. The chemicals used are not toxic to the skin and cannot be absorbed. They are safe. I use them every day at work and the main chemical is found in tea. So do not be afraid of the chemicals. Just do not eat them.

Anybody seriously taking chemical advice as it relates to their own bodies from a nameless poster with ONE POST and absolutely NO information in their Café profile is NUTS!

Remember that great advice "Drink the Kool-Aid".................

Stay sharp!
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 18:14, magicjoker wrote:

Quote:
Anybody seriously taking chemical advice as it relates to their own bodies from a nameless poster with ONE POST and absolutely NO information in their Café profile is NUTS!

Remember that great advice "Drink the Kool-Aid".................

Stay sharp!

....well, he is correct about the tea thing...

~Paul Gauguin
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Sorry Taylor, upon a re-read my statement seems directed at you, and it wasn't intended to be at all.
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
No problem! Any input is always greatly appreciated and accepted! Thanks for making the point clear that these chemicals are in fact safe if used appropriately. And thanks Spellbinder for that method, I think I'm going to give that a try; the chemicals would be more easily obtainable than the others. How would you recommend using those chemicals (PM me if you would like)? Thanks for your help everyone!! All this information in phenomenal and is going to help me get this routine rocking and ready to perform! Thanks again, and God bless! Smile

-Taylor

~Paul Gauguin
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Wow Spellbinder! That method works extremely well! I've been experimenting with it all afternoon, and so far it looks like the same thing that's accomplised with the chemicals. There is one question that I have. Is it ok for me to get the bleach on my hands (to stir the water). I did it a few times and my hands are fine, I'm just wondering if there would be any long term effects from doing it. What do you guys think?

~Paul Gauguin