The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Fire Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
I know there was a thread on fire juggling a while back but has anyone tried the fire ball from Dube? I'd like to hear comments.

Thanks
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I have yet to see any fire balls from Dube. I'll have to look this up. As they won't have to be imported like the fire fly ones do now, they may be less expensive.

If all you do is geek tricks you will be disappointed, fire balls need all the hype you can give them. As a part of a show, they are ok; on their own, don't bother, you can do better with 3 regular balls.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I agree with Pokie Poke. You can get kevlar gloves to juggle longer with them, but they're not so impressive. Torches look better, I reckon, and you can juggle them as long as you like. You also get a better "woosh" sound from torches and that always impresses an audience!

ML
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
I understand what you guys are saying, I just like the idea of a "Ball" of fire. Can't see how I would pull off wearing gloves with my outfit though.

Thanks
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
One of the reasons juggling torches is impressive is that there is a sense of danger. The audience thinks, or should think, that catching the wrong end is going to burn you. Juggling fire balls with gloves, while it may look good, removes that one important element of fire juggling.
For a while I tried juggling fire-balls with my bare hands. I used tennis balls soaked in fluid. Big mistake. From now on I'm sticking to torches.
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
I've done torches and I do like working with them. I just like doing different fire effects. Started doing some Poi a while back and now I'm thinking about getting a fire staff.

Cheers,

Alchemist
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
I did the same things with the tennis balls Smile They burn off the outer layer to the rubber and it burnt onto my finger where it decided that it wasn't going to come off!!!

What's your story?
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
Pretty much the same as yours, Stickman. I gave up on the stunt after trying to put out a handful of burning rubber on my pants. The rubber stuck to my pants, so now my leg and hand were on fire. And after the flame went out the molten rubber still smoldered, and wouldn't come off. Things were tender for a while.
As they say, that which does not kill us makes us stronger. Or a little less stupid, anyway.
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
If you're going to douse any kind of ball in fluid and light it I wouldn't suggest tennis balls... that's just ridiculous. What I DO recommend is a hemp hackey sack... Smile One time after a juggling festival a bunch of us were playing hackey sack and my partner and I decided it would be cooler if it was on fire... like most things in life. So we just doused it and lit it up... you really need jeans for this to work... it's very cool at night because every time the fireball is contacted, say with a foot... there is a burst of flame from fluid being forced through the hemp from the impact. It's amazing. Just don't hit it with your head... like my friend did... It lit his hair on fire, but everyone was really impressed. Smile
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
If you like fire, Fire staff is way cool, if you are good, If not, you are just waving a stick that is on fire. Smile So what. My goal for staff Is Darth Mal. to spin well enough that it doesn't matter if it is on fire or not, people watching will go "wow" either way.

Poi are kinda cool but very over done. You had better be really good. Otherwise your just another dope with fire on a string.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
victorkent
View Profile
New user
Narnia
76 Posts

Profile of victorkent
My 12 year old does the fire balls. He had to toughen his hands up and then now he wears bicycle fingerless gloves. His burning rubber sucks but has yet to fall off. It only happens when he allows the balls to sit too long and the fuel drips onto the kevlar mesh and burns off from there. At night shows, they are impressive and even with the gloves the audience is very impressed. I think him being so young helps raise the impressivness.
-vk
John 3:16
http://www.victorkent.com
http://www.kentfamilyillusionshow.com
[email]victor@victorkent.com[/email]
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I use no gloves, what's the point? The audience will say 'yeah, he can juggle but he is wearing gloves. If I could juggle I could do that.'

Torches get 110% better response over the fire balls, day or night.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I use the fireballs when I get the chance. They look really cool and the audience gets a kick out of them. After about 60 seconds of practicing, you have to take a 2 min. break. I got them from a friend, Victor Shiro and do not know where he got them.

They're called FYREFLY. Hard to explain. They're like a spiral ball made out of metal or steel with wick around it. You pour the lighter fluid in the middle of the ball in a tube. The wick in the center is what's on fire, not the outside wick that you touch.

Hope this info helps!

Justin
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
Yeah, I did it with bike glives as well. They caught fire. LOL That was the one day I didn't have my trusty bucket of water too.