The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Magnetic rings... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
So it's going here!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/clearance/86e5/

A bit more fashionable than your standard PK ring!
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
That might fit the bill for something I've been thinking about - thanks for posting it here! You're right, it's quite stylish as well...

-amanda
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2787 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
This is simply separate curved pieces. The only thing holding it together is its magnetism.

s
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Cool! That's great. It definitely looks better than some of the PK rings that don't look like rings at all!
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The only problem with this ring is that if anyone looks at it closely, it is obviously magnetic.
I'll stick to the SuperMagnetMan ring.
Gwyd
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Gwyd,

It's a ring...and it has a pretty stone when you wear a half size......and it looks less like a magic trick than most any other accessory on the market.
Why would anyone give it a second look? Since most of the effects you do with a PK ring aren't supposed to be magnetic anyway, don't you think you're running more than a bit without being chased?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
This looks a lot more gimmicky than a Black's ring. The pieces are obviously not connected mechanically, which will raise questions and put the thought "magnet" into the specs head.....something to be avoided when using PK rings of any type.

I've never been questioned on my silver Black's ring.......ever, and I wear it on the middle finger of my right hand, so I can't use the wedding band ploy (that and I'm no longer married!).

IMHO, odd-looking rings stand out when folks glance at your hands whether you do magic or not.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Pretty much what silverking said. As the ring is in separate pieces, it seems too obvious.
I never thought the SMM rings looked gimmicky at all. Just a simple band.
I do like the look of the three piece ring...I'd wear it just for fun, but I think it is more likely to be questioned.
Gwyd
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2787 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2007-03-15 12:29, makeupguy wrote:
Gwyd,

1. It's a ring...and it has a pretty stone when you wear a half size......

2. and it looks less like a magic trick than most any other accessory on the market.

1. What stone? It is simply a small, round, flat magnet.
2. LOL! This looks like crap. How can you say the other rings look like a trick??

s
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
My biggest concern would be it deciding to separate while removing or moving said item effected by the PK.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
It looks like some of the Himber rings... I think it's kinda cool.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
This ring is not crap. Cyril used a similar ring in this trick:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ykhMmlUa_uM
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2787 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 05:38, knmagic wrote:

Similar ring? Great. We're not talking about a SIMILAR ring, we're talking about this "ring". Did you even look at the site and the pics? It looks like what it is--curved magnets attracting together in a ring shape. Someone suggested it looked better than the PK rings, but this LOOKS like CRAP compared to them. Nobody was talking about the concept of PK rings.
I'm done. You buy what you want.

s
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
All of the rings look like crap, PK and magnet. PK rings look like you cut the ends off of a pipe. There are other magnet rings that look better than above, and you can use it to do a bunch of effects, such as PK and the stuff Cyril does. Just do a search!
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
All of them? LOL.
http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com
You've not been looking hard enough, Lusion.
BTW, the rings Cyril has were CUSTOM made for him.

Posted: Mar 19, 2007 9:54pm
Quote:

On 2007-03-18 05:38, knmagic wrote:

The ring posted here and the one Cyril has only have ONE thing in common; they have magnetic properties. They are NOT the same ring by any stretch, and are not similar either. His, as noted in the above post, are custom made.
spiritus sancti
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of spiritus sancti
Quote:
On 2007-03-15 11:52, gsidhe wrote:
The only problem with this ring is that if anyone looks at it closely, it is obviously magnetic.
I'll stick to the SuperMagnetMan ring.
Gwyd

If our spectators are looking that closely at the ring, then maybe we didn't do the trick very well. I mean, aren't our spectators supposed to be concentrating on what just happened and not our jewelry? I mean, directing people's attention away from certain things is 90% of what this wonderful art we call magic is all about. Just a thought.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
In that case, spiritus, you can paint yours fluorescent green. Let me know how that works out.
Why make things harder than you need to?
Yes...directing people's attention where we want it is part of the job.
So why would you want to use a prop that draws attention to itself?
There is a phrase - Don't run if they aren't chasing you.
I say don't give them any reason to chase.
Gwyd
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Jclark,
I dunno about that one. I know someone that has, it but that's just me. Also, there are other magnetic rings that have the magnetic links so you can change the size as you wish, which lets you pull off a Cyril-like effect without spending all that money on a custom ring.
Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
I've just visited the above said site "Thinkgeek.com" The pictures say it all; forget "thinkgeek", "thinkc**p".
I see your point though, Michael, about something fashionable. But for myself, in this instance, low profile is the key word.