The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Film Shows - Still a viable entertainment? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I hear occasionally of entertainers using reel to reel projectors and film shows (Tom and Gerry etc.) as part of their overall programme. Do you think this is still a viable entertainment in this Video/DVD age? My initial reaction is that it's very 1950s and I personally would be uncomfortable in showing something the kids can watch 24 hours a day on TV. Having said that it would make life a lot easier wouldn't it - having kids at parties sat down for 20 mins. or so just looking at a projector screen (that's if they WOULD sit and watch!)? Smile
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
Personally...I think that parents can make the kids watch a movie, but what they pay us for is live entertainment. Something different if you know what I mean. It might put a damper on the number of shows too...if parents simply exchange the tape or make copies. Or, if it was a one time thing (where they don't get to keep the tape) then its kinda pointless. You cant really have volenteers...it simply sucks all the fun out of it. Plus...i'd be wary as well, being that slow motion is popular on VCR's i'd fear that the secrets would be revealed.

It's an idea, but all and all, they pay for a live show to be seen once...if you want to see it again then ya have to book again!

Thanks
-Brad
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Maybe in the 60's you could have done that. I guess people could always take their guests to the Cinema for their party.
I don't feel it really a good idea to try and directly compete with the cinema.

What sort of entertainers are using these film shows Tony?

The only thing along those lines I can think of that could work quite well is a karaoke party. I saw a kids karaoke party service advertised on the net somewhere a while ago. One of the selling features was that you got a tape afterwards of everyone’s singing as a memento.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I don't think that many people would be really happy with this these days. With so much multimedia available to kids watching a cartoon clip (reel to reel/DVD/video) would be something that they probably do for too many hours in the day already.

I suppose one use for it (especially if you had a computer with projector) would be to show a cartoon in which something is revealed (eg roadruner with the coyote being squashed by the chosen card/ dust from road runners feet spelling 'happy birthday ...."

Just an idea, but I personally would not consider showing the kids a video could be considered me entertaining them
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I do not think that many people would be happy with a performer that used a film show.
not only is it something they could do themselves at home. but how many modern films that the kids want to see would be available?
I would not want to watch these old reel films any more and I could as my dad has a projector and films (silent) in his attic.
I will stick with my 5.1 dolby digital surround and DTS!
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Andy, I believe one entertainer who works the same party circuits as us is including a reel to reel cartoon show as part of his programme. I would not say any more as of course the M.C. has so many visitors that never ever log on. We personally think it a dated form of entertainment and agree that people are paying for a live performance (and disco in our case). I don't know whether you partly lost the thread Brad after "number of shows too" . . . if so my apologies for not being clearer.

Tony.

Smile
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
It's a bit of a novelty though. Most kids these days would never have seen a reel to reel projector so they'd probably get a kick out of it.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Come to think of it most kids will not have seen Tom & Jerry, the Road Runner or the Pink Pantha either.

I remember being excited about watching those reel to reel films when I was a kid, but those were they days when VCR's cost $3,000 and were all top loading.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Come to think of it most kids will not have seen Tom & Jerry, the Road Runner or the Pink Pantha either

Hi,
They would over here in the UK Andy.
I make balloon models of a large road runner, coyote, and a Pink Panther riding a motor bike and the Kids (even 4yrs) no what they are. the wonders of Sky Digital!
Phillip
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Okay
I sometimes make Pink Pantha balloons at my parties. I play the Pink Panta Theme music while I am twisting. The kids almost never know who it is, but the parents always do.

I've found here in New Zealand kids have to be teenagers before they know who the Pink Pantha is.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8816 Posts

Profile of harris
What about the gag of walking out of a "movie"??? This would be more of a stage venue/family program.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u