The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Topit...Now What? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I posted this elsewhere with no luck, hopefully you can help me out...

I've been interested in the topit, so I bought Michael Ammar's Topit Pattern and Carl Cloutier's Topit video.

After looking at the pattern I am so lost. Do I take it, along with my suit to the tailor and ask if they can install it or something else?

Thanks!
Josh London
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In my article on "The Tote Bag Change Bag" in the Dollar Store Magic section (on my site) I have a section on how to use a small Dollar Store Tote Bag as a Topit. Check out your local Dollar Store or Craft Store and buy a small black (for now- the article shows you how you can use colors) tote bag. Use safety pins to pin it according to the directions on the DVD. Practice with it, play with it and then you will know if you want to have a tailor make you a more permanent solution or if it is fine just as it is. Patrick Page advised using the safety pinned Topit just so you could use it with any suit you have. I don't know anyone who actually has a tailor-made and installed Topit, but I'm sure you will get advice in that direction from someone.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I made my topit using Michael Ammar’s pattern. I bought lining material, thread and needles at Jo-Ann’s and followed Michael’s instructions. I installed it so I have access from the outside pockets and also the breast pocket. I used fabric glue to hold it in place and hand stitched it. By the time I finished sewing everything I had developed good sewing skills my stitches were very symmetrical and small. I wont say how long the first one took but the second one took about a quarter the time and added to the usable skills.

P.S. I would not suggest installing your first one in that $1200.00 Armani sport coat. Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I would hire the first one done. You can do that at http://www.fabricmanipulation.com, if you wish.

I had a suit made in Thailand and tried to explain that I wanted a topit put in. I even had Ammar's pattern to show them. I ended up with the suit pocket split into sections, the topit installed between the suit and the liner, and no acces to the topit from the suit pocket. I ended up with a nice suit with some funny extras that do nothing. If I had a real example with me, I am sure they would have done a wonderful job.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I have a few suits that I don't really use anymore, so I'll try to install one in one of those suits.

Thanks!
jl
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
Jl, I would suggest test fitting it. Pin it in place get a feel for it before spending the evening stiching. Good luck, and keep the stiches small.
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.