The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring On Rope-Where Do I Find The Ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I have Tabary's rope magic book and I like it a lot. There are a few effects that call for a rope, which I have and a ring, which I don't. The ring is the standard one used in these types of effects, however I cannot find one.

I've been to Michael's, and almost every other craft store here. Is there a website I can get one from? Thanks!

Josh London
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Josh
Wizzard craft sells a 3 1/2" brass ring, and if you go to http://www.kingskountry.com you will have your choice of both size, and color of plastic rings. I like the 6" rings, but they have it all there.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Josh,

As Al mentioned, I got mine from Wizard Craft Magic. Here is a link.

http://www.wizardcraft.com/accessories.htm

You'll find them about half way down the page. They are the perfect size and weight for ring and rope magic. Heavy, solid and no weld seams!

Mark.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I bought a couple of heavy plastic bangles at a flee market,
which work better than steel rings.
Try flee markets and charity shops for anything which is round and heavy.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
You can usually find some at Blackpool. If youi have friends who goes there next wekk-end, ask them.
Jonathan.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Josh:

I also bought one from Wizard Craft. It's the best - I don't think you can get a better one anywhere.

Ron
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
776 Posts

Profile of 61magic
A word of advice. I do a street act and I use Aldo Colombini's Ringing Around Two routine. He calls for a simple plastic ring for the routine.
At the end of the routine I allow the ring and rope to be examined. On more than one occation someone would test the ring by pulling on it, needless to they snap in half.
Go with a metal rings.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I would walk around Home Depot, especially in the plumbing/sinks/tub department. There are some nice rings used as towel holders, door knockers, shower curtain hangers, and on cabinetry handles as well. Brass, silver, chrome, gold, plastic, wood; all kinds of options in different sizes, and usually very cheap.

Matt
Aim To Amaze
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Almost forgot TSC (Tractor Supply Company) these stores are everywhere and often have some nice heavy-duty rings, I found a nice chrome ring that was very heavy and solid there. I think it was used for tying up horses.
Aim To Amaze
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Just walk into any well stocked hardware store.

Ask for "welded rings". They used to be called "harness rings".

They will have about a dozen sizes up to about 3". Should cost a dollar or less.

Works like a charm.

:magicrabbit:
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Funone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Funone
I use harness ring, brass or silver, or a macurmai (SP) ring is good too.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
You also check some local Feed shops (Tackle shops), and you might be able to find some sturdy rings.

But the Wizard Craft ring is definetly worth its weight!

RevJohn
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Although you can use other rings, such as harness rings, etc...those from Wizard Craft are the best. Why? They are heavy in weight, and seamless!

When you use something with a welded seam, spectators think they are somehow gimmicked. Although they can pull, twist, drop, shake them, etc...they still think they are gimmicked at the seam and just can't figure out how to open them.

Just my observations. Mark.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Go with Wizard Craft. I have two. One brass and one chrome. Great ring for a rope and ring routine. Perfect size and weight and no seam. I used to use a "harness ring" and people were always saying "Hey there's a crack in the ring".
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I can use the Wizard Craft rings for silk through ring with my reel right?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I use the normal ring from a small set of linking rings Smile

Matt
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Josh, not knowing what kind of reel you're using, you might be really careful using a ring and a reel. The weight of the Wizard Craft rings might damage your reel.

Mark.