The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Getting busted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
What are your favourite techniques for dealing with getting caught whilst dipping?
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
When I first was learning a watch steal as a kid I used to tell the people that I was going to make a prediction.

The prediction said that "I was going to try and take their watch and that I wrote this note to fess-up in case I got caught".

If I got caught, I showed my prediction explaining that I was not reaaly trying to steal their watch...but, I was practicing and left the note as proof.

If I took the watch sucessfully, I generally went on doing more magic and everyone forgot about the prediction anyway..so I put it in my pocket casually later.

I don't know if this was a good idea...but, at least I did not get my face punched in ;-)
Long Island,

New York
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
In a magic context you could do a card under finger or similar effect and, when caught, say "actually, I was hoping you'd catch me....whilst you were catching me steal your watch I was able to do something REALLY tricky..."
gordonmj
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of gordonmj
If I get caught I simply return the object and try again later. this is very difficult with ties though lol!!!
booya!
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
The way this coudl be handled is with joke. Something lik "This not really coming off isit?" - if you stuck/caught with watch steal.
Pavlo
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
"...This is a very nice watch you have.... have I told you that I "collect nice watches?"

I then proceed to "vanish" the watch (topit or tail coat ditch). I follwo this vanish up by making this watch re-appear from another spectator's inside jacket pocket, then hand this watch back to the owner, apologizing on behalf of the "real crook"..."it wasn't me, it was HIM!! I insist, pointing an accusing finger at the innocent scapegoat --who, by the way, gplays right along with the gag, admitting it was he that made the steal.

Of course as I pulled this first watch out of this innocent spectator, I lift one of his objects aand immediately after returning the watch to the owner, and chiding the "real crook" (the spectator), I then reveal that the owner of the watch has now somehow stolen the spectator's item(s) --often a wallet, pen, hanky and/or glasses. As I return this to the spactator, I again claim innocence, and blame the watch owner, as I return ths last item to the spectator's pocket, I "put pocket", etc., etc., this running gag/by-play can go on and on, back and forth, building to a feverent and fun pitch/climax, and causing the two "victims" involved to exchamge a flurry of mock harsh words with one another... all in fun and good jest of course, and all to the amusement and amazement of the other bystanders.

This has been one of my 'pet" routines for many years, and works like a charm (for me).

If you haven't tried this approach, I encourage you to ... "try it, you'll like it" , and so will your audiences.

...Happy lifting!

Jonathan (aka "Max")
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know if any of you remember Mark Bellinger from Michigan, a wonderful talent and human who left us much too soon. Mark once lifted my watch and was going to keep it until it drove me nuts. After his show I told him "Great show, let me have the watch back", he asked when I noticed and I said I felt him lift it but didn't want to ruin the flow of his show. He was absolutely crestfallen that he had been caught and I stil feel bad about it. Remember, pick pockets have feelings.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
885 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Do not feel bad about it. You did the best you could do playing along, and I hope all specs were that considerate.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I think this subject seperates Magicians from Pickpockets (and Mentalists for that matter)

Magicians worry about getting caught, pickpockets seem to realise that this is part of the game. (Not in real thievery, obivously) I have been got on several occasions, but it never stopped me from doing it again.

With magicians they seem to what surefire, work all the time stuff. Like they can't fail.

Wonder why that is.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Quote:
On 2007-03-31 19:09, James Harrison wrote:
I think this subject seperates Magicians from Pickpockets (and Mentalists for that matter)
Magicians worry about getting caught, pickpockets seem to realise that this is part of the game. (Not in real thievery, obivously)

That's an intelligent observation. I wonder if it has to do with the stigma of magicians specifically trying to "fool", "impress", and/or "get away with moves" that makes magicians worry.
Pickpockets aren't exactly going for those aspects (certainly we do fool, impress, and get away with moves!) and can just bounce off a miss or getting caught. Throw out a line like "Oh sorry-sorry, I just can't help myself!" and put the object back in the pocket, then steal it right out!
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I've noticed that's the big question that I get asked more than any other from magicians.

"Do you ever get caught? What do you do when that happens?"

I write about this in Street Magic Magazine. I'm doing an ongoing article about pickpocketing and bring that subject up.