The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: My review of OVERTURNED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
O V E R T U R N E D

I had the honor to receive this new great trick from Tim Olsen. He will release it on DVD later this year.
You can visit his website and watch the demo-video: http://www.ssproductions.tk

EFFECT:
You borrow an unopenned soda can. For example a Pepsi can. Tilt the can and tell the spectators to pay attention to the letters. You move your hand infront of the letters once. Nothing happens. You do it again. Nothing happens. One last time. This time when you bring your hand down, the letters on the can have been moved upsidedown. The letters are now permanently upsidedown. Hand the borrowed can back to the spectator to keep.

REVIEW:
I think this kind of trick is new in the world of magic!
It's perfect in connection with Criss Angel's "Quarter through Soda Can".
Here are a few point:
- the handling is easy
- you can hand out the can to the spectator after the performance
- you can use every soda can but you will prefer a Pepsi can
- the video instruction is clear
Tim will teach you everything you need to know in order to perform this piece of art. He goes over the method and why it works the way it does.

SUMMARY:
I am very happy that I have received this new trick before it's official available on the market. Thanks again to Tim!
It's clever, easy to do and the effect to audience is something new. I am sure that it will be one of the magic-highlights of the year!

RATING:
8/10
WALTHER
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I'm just curious. You give it a glowing review and every one of the points you make are positive. You even say it will be "one of the magic-highlights of the year", yet you gave it an 8 out of 10. What were the "cons" that made you deduct 2 out of 10 points?

Jeff
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1706 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Review? It reads just like an advertisment!
I agree with you IBD1 why not 10 out of 10!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Does that website work for you? All I get is a blank page..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
818 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Thanks for the review on this gitty.

Question: Did you say "Criss Angel's" Quarter through Soda Can?
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
That's why I didn't like a rating-system!
I didn't give 10 points because you aren't clean during the performance. That's the only reason but it has nothing to do with the uniqueness of this trick.
WALTHER
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
Nick-V,
ok - Criss Angel's DVD of "WAYNE HOUCHIN'S" Quarter through Soda Can.
WALTHER
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
818 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Yeah, Criss having his own creation of CTS would have been news to many.
Thanks for clearing that up for the fine people here on the Café.
Smile
~Nick V.~
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
If you click on the link for this trick make sure you have a good pop-up blocker. I got about 5 pop up windows.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Gitty:
I have a question and if it can not be answered with out tipping anything then I understand. I live in Canada and I am looking at a PEPSI can here and the Logo is actually horizontal (when can is sitting upright.) In the video the word PEPSI runs vertically and is much easier to conceal. Will this work with the can configured the way I described?
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
Scott Imler:
You can use any can but the word (like Pepsi) must be run vertically. Tim uses a Pepsi can because it's optical the best with the logo and the word.
WALTHER
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Thanks that is what I thought.
waas
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of waas
Just saw the video on Youtube...
I don't know.. I immediately got some theories ow it's done..
Even if I'm wrong, a GOOD trick (to me) must leave me with absolutely no clue..
Not for me.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4885 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 17:16, waas wrote:
Just saw the video on Youtube...
I don't know.. I immediately got some theories ow it's done..
Even if I'm wrong, a GOOD trick (to me) must leave me with absolutely no clue..
Not for me.

I believe you may want to reconsider what you define a good trick as.

By this thinking you would have to disqualify any effect that uses a method you happen to know. Your view of good effects also would become more and more narrow the more you learn.

Close-up levitations don't strike me as not being good tricks simply because I know they use IT.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
818 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Waas,

No doubt it is fantastic when us magicians see an effect that blows us away completely and we are left wondering how on earth it was possible. As you evolve, you will learn more and more and will be greater equipped to perform spectacles that will leave others in absolute wonder. It would be a shame not to give your audience a feeling of amazement when you are able to.

Remember it's the spectators we do this all for.
~Nick V.~
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
818 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 18:46, gdw wrote:
By this thinking you would have to disqualify any effect that uses a method you happen to know. Your view of good effects also would become more and more narrow the more you learn.

Well said gdw.
~Nick V.~
waas
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of waas
Gdw and Nick V, there was miscommunication, I apologize for this..

1 - I just imagined the effect viewed from a clever non-magician guy, and I thought he would have immediately some explanations or a beginning of an answer...
I mean there are 2 types of effects/tricks :
* The one that leaves most spectators speachless (no way, oh my god etc..)
* The one that turns them immediately into brainstorming activity (there must be a duplicate, is there a magnet? etc..)
I just love effects that gets no comment except the wow.

For this "overturned" effect, I assume that any clever guy would want to play a little with the can and explore the ways to display the brand..
I think all the masters taught never to underestimate the spectator.

Anyway, my experience also taught me that sometimes, what I thought being obvious works fine on 98% of the people, and this rate is ok to start using the method Smile

My final word : Composing a repertoire is a matter of taste and one's own vision on magic.

2 - Nick : Yeah, it's true : The more you learn on magic, the more it's hard to be badly fooled, and the more you enjoy it because it gets less frequent.

Thanx guys for reading.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
818 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Hey waas, Anytime my friend.

:)
~Nick V.~