The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Ultimate Snake Basket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
My first paid magic show climaxed with a Hughes snake basket I borrowed from Gary Darwin. I was about 14 and I’ve never even seen another one of those close up, but I’ve loved snake effects ever since
I just received Dick Barry’s Ultimate Snake Basket in the mail, (see it at hocus-pocus or dickbarrymagic.com) and let me say its one of those rare props I’ve bought that didn’t disappoint in some way at first close examination. If you’re someone that likes to build your own presentation around a sound idea and plenty of little animations to work with, this is a very nice package for the price -- I’ve certainly paid more for less.
The snake is cute and well made, and the package includes all the little props to begin practicing your presentation -- tiny gun, caps, kazoo and even a couple of extra party poppers. With reasonable care it should last some time and repairs for everything but the sound animation would be pretty simple. The sound does sound electronic, an no one would mistake mine at least, for a real rattler. But maybe that will work for me in performance -- we’ll see.
The handles is fairly well thought out as well. Takes only 1 hand (not remote control) to activate all but one of the animations, but I have small hands and others might find them all within reach.
What I especially like about the trick is its smaller size and more intimate presentation possibilities. I recently bought Wolf’s Whacky Wakoon and that will certainly be something I’ll do for larger audiences, but at about 5 by 10 inches, the Barry basket is much more portable, and certainly a lot less money. They’re different enough that I’ll use them both, though never in the same show, of course.
This is my first Barry itel, but I will certainly check out others. And as this is my first real snake basket in more than 30 years, I’d appreciate any tips or sources from those that have used them a lot.

Marc the Magic Man
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Oh yeah, and he even throws in the forcing deck and a sheet of dumb snake jokes as part of the little instructional package.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
And the false teeth, don't forget the false teeth and flag finale...
Dick Barry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Dick Barry
Ncgarusse: Thanks for the nice comments on my ULTIMATE SNAKE BASKET. You made my day when I read your comments. I just received an e-mail from another customer who loves it. At present I am in the process of putting together another batch. Again, thanks!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have an old Abbott’s Snake Basket in my collection that only does basically one thing. Go up and down and show a card.

I also have Chance Wolf’s wonderful remake of the Hughes Snake Basket. You can find my thoughts and a couple of routines that I use with it elsewhere on the Café.

Needless to say, I love the Snake Basket since I got my first one in the 60’s (the Abbott’s).

Well, I reserve my Wolf Snake Basket for the “tuxedo” shows that I get hired to do. It looks elegant and works like a charm.

However, I rarely take it to a bar show, street venue (festival, fair, or busking) because I’m a bit over protective of it! It was a major investment for me and there are no more available. Plus, when it’s packed properly in its ATA case it is another big item to carry. Usually when I am doing a Tuxedo show it is my biggest item (two elegant Owen tables pack flat with the rest of my act and props in a Catalogue case). Not much but still…

Still I wanted to perform the Snake Basket. I wanted a more compact one. One that still had multiple features (unlike the Abbott), one that I would not worry about spilling beer on or getting rained on, but still was a workhouse.

Then my search was over, I discovered the Dick Barry Ultimate Snake Basket. In fact, I got the last one he had (he promises to make more). Let me say it more than meets my expectations! It is lightweight, compact, and full of working features!

The features are very, very low tec. Everything works with great ease. You will laugh at the simplicity of the “mechanics” while, at the same time, marvel at how clever it is and how well it is laid out. Dick has designed the layout so that everything can happen without getting in the way of anything else - including an internal “prop drop“ area where you toss a few of the external props and it keeps them out of the way. Dick did a great job.

The best part is the price. It is less than $200.00! Trust me, you get a lot of action, personality, and fun for the money with this little thing. Heck, I’ve paid more for a wallet!

It is fun to simply play with. I actually have spent hours rehearsing each feature and my routine just for my own amusement! I tickled myself silly as I fired the “gun” worked the rattler, found the wrong card twice, then the right one, and had the snake bow, wave the American flag, and popped a party popper! My living room is a total mess with paper streamers everywhere. But did I have fun.

To say I like it very much is an understatement. It has its place and its venue.

This gets very high ratings in my book. It is rock solid entertainment potential from a well designed and fun prop.

By the way, I did make a fourth card for the snake to come up with (remember he finds two “wrong” cards before the “right” card). I took a blank card and computer printed “THANK YOU” on it. The snake comes up with it during his second or third bow.

Fun, fun, fun! Thanks Mr. Barry!!!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dick Barry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Dick Barry
Harry - Thank you so much for your wonderful review of my SNAKE BASKET. I am presently making a new batch for my own sales and Hocus-Pocus Magic. (I talked with Paul today and he says he still has a couple in stock.) I am also a lover and collector of Snake Baskets. Chance Wolf has the best collection of them but I am proud to say I have one of his limited (12) editions of the Jack Hughes' reproductions. I also have a Khyber Cobra from Collector's Workshop an original Jack Huges basket, etc. etc. It is a fun prop for all age groups. Thanks again!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
The Dick Barry Snake Basket sound great except for one thing.

What about the GUN.

Do you have an alternative reson for the pop and the hole in the card.

Or can you leave that GUN part out?

Thanks,

Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In today's climate, a gun is definitely out. I use a miniature sidewinder missile.

Come on, Neznarf, if you can't figure out an alternative, what are you doing in the entertainment business?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Of course....a minature sidewinder missile.

I should have thought of that right away. lol.

Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Dick Barry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Dick Barry
Nez,

The firing of the toy gun is up to the performer. It is only a small part of the routine. In my instructions I recommend that you leave out the gun part of the routine when performing where children are present. Many people are anti-gun these days. A good performer can "reads" his audience and should know what part of his routine to leave in and what part to leave out. Regardless, I think you would like the Ultimate Snake Basket and my routine. Thanks for your comments.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Can anyone recommend some snake-charming music? Is there a performer or CD to reference? Bet that would be funny with the old snake . . . Anyone solved the gun issue creatively for kids (the sidewinder reference might be a litte obscure for them, but it's funny) or got any different routines they'd be willing to share? I'm eyeing this item as a possible purchase, but want to envision how it'll fit in . . .

Thanks
Dick Barry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Dick Barry
Regarding the cap gun issue: After thinking about it, my suggestion when doing kids shows would be the follow: Instead of using the small toy gun, that comes with the ULTIMATE SNAKE BASKET, make a small fake firecracker. Patter along the lines that firecrackers are very dangerous as you place it into the basket. When the bang sound is heard coming from the basket have the snake rise with a badly burnt card. Look at the snake and repeat to the snake and the kids, "See I told you firecrackers can be dangerous. It was just lucky you weren't hurt. Never play with fireworks!" Anyway, that is one suggestion. Maybe some of you have other ideas. Would love to hear from you at: dickbarrymagic@aol.com
JimmyC
View Profile
New user
Rochester, NY 14622
7 Posts

Profile of JimmyC
I'm trying to put a snake basket routine together....can any one help with jokes
routines or thoughts ...or can you point me in the right direction..to magicians in the past who might have done a comedy snake basket routine...thank you
my e mail is jimmycmagic@YAHOO.COM
jimmycmagic
(585) 766-8829
http://www.jimmycmagic.com
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1607 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Pm'd you with my routine
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I didn't find anything out there on routines per se, and I've never seen anyone else perform a snake basket. Maybe that's a good thing because it really forced me to write my own, using the basic props and plot of the Dick Barry snake basket. Although I wrote a script, it doesn't use snake jokes - more magician jokes because the snake is a magician doing a card trick, if that makes sense. (THe only "snake" joke I use is, "If you forget the card, he'll have to bite you," before introducing the false teeth. ("Truth be told, Seymore the Superfluous lost his teeth a long time ago, and for the safety, comfort and convenience of the audience he's been fitted with this removable set") I've also added a fez, a pair of groucho glasses (the "traditional protection of the Egyptian snake charmer I'm required to wear by my insurance carrier") and have added silly musical effect to each card rise. I also found that I get a good laugh by raising the flag after the second "failure" as thougyh Seymore is making a play for the audience's sympathy.
I found by treating the snake as a character, the humor comes from the interaction with him...maybe vent routines would help in that regard.
By the way, the routine has become a real hit with adults and kids.

Marc the Magic Man
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Sounds great Marc. I have rattles (marracas actually) which I hand out to several kids and I use Barry's snake basket complemented by another I made, which is a Private Eye Python dressed up with a white doll whig (glitter green highlights) and librarian glasses on the nose and a bonnet with a big magnet inside. Ms. Hiss is Peter the Python's boyfriend, but she doesn't see so well and only awakens at the sound of Peter's rattle (or any of the kids). I don't have great individual jokes (and would appreciate any routine help), but am working up a good situation for a routine with two snakes and the kids causing them to pop up and down even before Peter does cards or Ms. Hiss "picks" the color of plastic golf ball (with nail pieces hammered in with heads cut) which I force in a selection by the kid using clear force bag. It has potential . . . If anyone is willing to share details of their card-picking routines, I'd appreciate it (and will gladly share any info I have). For the record, Dick Barry was very helpful in suggesting how to get "complementary" parts for Ms. Hiss as a sidekick for his Ultimate Snake Basket, and his item is indeed well-designed, well-built and funny (like the other tricks he sells - such as his Go Fish game). This is a worthy purchase, and, as you can see from all these posts, a prop you can really make your own.

Thanks.