The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Believe it or not... :: Firewalking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Graham_Salisbury
What are the best resources on this subject?

I am interested in both the history of it's performance and in the various techniques that have been tried (or claimed) to perform this feat.

I'm pretty sure that Randi has covered this, but are there anymore?

Any help gratefully received.

G.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I'm online at the moment! Have you searched the 'net? There's a ton of stuff there. You might also visit my site ... and ask there.
http://www.sideshow-freaks.com/sideshow_......tocf.htm
Please sign the guestbook.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Hi

I firewalked last year for the first time. Great stuff. No trickery involved at all.

Since you're in the UK, have a look at http://www.blazefirewalking.com who organise fire walking events, which is good if you want to experience it for the first time.

ML
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Excellent. Thanks for your help.

Yes I have looked elsewhere online, but it is often hard to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to websites, which is why I thought I'd check here.

Cheers,
G.
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
I've found a number of books on the subject in the "new age" section at the bookstore. It's an interesting aspect if you're really into looking at it from all angels.

Cheers,

Alchemist
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Go to any search engine and type in "Kuda Bux".He was a magician from Inda and did a great firewalk.He was very famous back in the 30's 40's and 50's.He even had a TV show in the U.S.back in the 50's.I have footage of him doing the firewalk for "Ripley's Believe It or Not" back about 1940 or so.
Hoped this helped,have a great day,
Don
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Thanks for the "Kuda Bux" info. Great stuff.

I did find this worryingly sober list of insane experiments on my seach:

"Writing in a mainstream professional psychological journal, chemist Meyn Reid Coe, Jr. chronicles his own successful attempts with firewalking and a variety of related behaviors:

"Touched red-hot iron with my fingers.
Touched red-hot iron with my tongue.
Touched molten iron with my tongue. (No sensation! Can't feel it.)
Bent red-hot steel bars by stamping them with my bare feet.
Ran barefoot on red-hot iron.
Walked on red-hot rocks.
Plunged my fingers into molten lead, brass and iron.
Took a small quantity of molten lead in my mouth and almost was burned. (Never try this.)
Carried red-hot coals around in my mouth.
Popped red-hot coals into my mouth.
Chewed charcoal off burning sticks. (This is easy if done fast enough.)
Walked on beds of red-hot coals, taking eight steps to cross a fourteen foot pit.
Placed my fingers, hands and feet in candle flames until covered with carbon black. (No burns! Not hot! Only warm!)
Held my face, hands and feet in fire for a short time."

Madness, Pure Madness !!!

I mean "Plunged my fingers into molten lead, brass and iron" - surely not!!
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
I wouldn't suggest anyone aquiring information from the internet in these matters. We are talking about our lives, or at least our health. So let's just buy books and support the authors to write more books. There can't be too many of us.
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

I quite agree. I'd be very interested in any books/videos that detail the performing of these sorts of "endurance" feats.

Which ones, if any, do you recommend?
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
There used to be a number of people who conducted seminars here in the US. It seems to have fallen out of popularity though. Does anyone know if there are still workshops being conducted and where to find more info?

Thanks
MAGICALKORI
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MAGICALKORI
I love anyhting that has to do with fire, I just wish there was a way to learn more tricks with it. Does anybody have any suggestions on any books or websites that have tricks with fire in them? Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Look here and ask questions on any of the above, and much more!
http://www.sideshow-freaks.com/sideshow_......tocf.htm
Please sign the guestbook.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
Can we really do it? Bare foot no trick?
I READ MINDS.... YOURS TOO.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Absolutely - given the correct training, of course.

ml
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Given the correct training is definitely a good point to stress over here !
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
About 10 years ago I spent 2 weeks in Fiji on the tiny island of Beqa (pronounced ben-guh) where I was SCUBA diving. This is the Island of the Firedancers. I got to see the authentic ritual several times. These men believe that what they are doing is supernatural and not related in the physics involved in heat dissapation from coral or volcanic rock. I showed them some magic effects with coins, and sponge balls. They had never seen a magician perform before (no TV on the island and electricity only for the guests in 8 cottages). Their reaction to the magic manifested as hilarious giggling. The chief, who we called Kenney, asked me if the magic was real. I told him that it was as real as his firedancing and he took that to mean that I was performing true magic. They believe that if they refrain from sex the night before the ritual they will be protected. I don't follow the same rule when performing magic.