The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Canadian Association of Magicians! :: Jay Sankey "lecture" in toronto (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
He is at Browsers Den on Tuesday the 6th of feb from 7-9.
Only 40 spots available for $25.00.

http://www.browsersden.com
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
He is at Browsers Den on Tuesday the 6th of feb from 7-9.

What did you folks think of this?

Thanks.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
I myself thought it was great.

First of all I am a Sankey nut and it was a great opportunity to meet him face to face.

Secondly, we discussed "Making magic memorable" which gave me a lot of insight into what I do and how I do it.

As an example, Are we creating a positive memorable experience? Positive being the key word. If I scare the crap out of someone and really freak them out, I made an impact, yes, but was it a positive one? Will this person want to see magic again? Will they refer me to a friend? etc

How are we presenting our art? Are we running through the motions without real presentation?

Why do you perform?

Are you performing magic? or Are you Magic?

He also intorduced 3 new effects that have not been released. Very cool...

And did a meet and greet with pictures and autographs afterwards.

For $25 I thought it spurred some real insight into why, how, when and where I perform my art.

There were some.....people with other agendas.....that took us off topic quite often so many thoughts were lost, but all in all well worth the hour drive both ways.

Will//

dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Thanks Will. I agree with all your points, I liked 95% of the content and approach. My only, and very minor, dislike was what I believed to be what you referenced as attendees with agendas - a few folks who thought it was their lecture. But I don't know how you avoid that and stay interactive. Jay handled that well, giving folks some latitude with comments before reeling them back in.

I learned a lot about presentation from Jay's mannerisms as well as what he said. No matter how inane my questions, he looked me in the eye, appeared interested and had an enthusiastic response. We all need to have that level of interest in the audience!

And Jeff was a good host as always.

Recommended if you get a chance at future Sankey seminars.

Dave
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
I really enjoy the way he facilitates his information.
He is definately a confident speaker and did well with audience management.

Notice he made sure to stop once and a while to introduce himself AND ask their name. Makes it more personal.

I would recommend his "seminars" to anyone and everyone. Although his humor on the DVD's is pretty "out there" he is much more toned down in person and a pleasure to listen to and interact.

I will never miss the opportunity to see him again, and I hope I do.

I wonder why he isn't listed for CAM....

Kyle007
View Profile
New user
Toronto
24 Posts

Profile of Kyle007
Unfortunately I couldn't attend this but did any of you attend his lecture in June?