The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Could someone identify this? 4 Aces 1st turn 1 by 1 then change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mikaelmrotek
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of mikaelmrotek
Lee asher twisting the aces
waldboi
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of waldboi
Yeah, that all sounds like Lee Asher's trick.
SnapCrimp
View Profile
New user
Konawa, Oklahoma
8 Posts

Profile of SnapCrimp
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
This just goes on and on now. Lol.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Mercury by David Kong
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
Nick Trost has a very simple effect along these lines in his "The Card Magic of..." book. It's called Maxi-Twisto. The aces turn over and then are shown to be a royal flush. VERY simple to perform.
simquad
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of simquad
"Mercury" or "Twisting the Aces"?
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Wow!
I feel all special now, because DStachowiak posted the link to my video. Smile

Yes, the plastic cards are bothersome, but the clear look seemed to break up that "thickness" a bit. I should go back and write big "A"s and "K"s on those faces, to make it easier to see.

But yes, the effect is Mercury by David Kong.
:)
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Mercury is a great effect. One which I use often. If you like things along the "changing" lines you might also check out Nathan Gibson's Trick #3 from his "Pasteboard Player" DVD it Is a visually startiling 4 of a kind change without the twisting.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-02 22:55, closeupcardist wrote:
Mercury is a great effect. One which I use often. If you like things along the "changing" lines you might also check out Nathan Gibson's Trick #3 from his "Pasteboard Player" DVD it Is a visually startiling 4 of a kind change without the twisting.

I didn't know the name, so I searched for Nathan Gibson on YouTube and found it. WOW that was something! I believe I have found yet another DVD to add to my shopping list.

Thanks!
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
AlanSands
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of AlanSands
Folks - the routine is published in "51 Years of Magic "by George Sands, available for $15.00 plus postage.

http://www.alansands.com/store/51years.html
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 08:17, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-02 22:55, closeupcardist wrote:

I didn't know the name, so I searched for Nathan Gibson on YouTube and found it. WOW that was something! I believe I have found yet another DVD to add to my shopping list.

Thanks!

You're quite welcome!

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 11:59pm
Roger Smith's Maxi-Twist is worth looking into as well.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
cristo
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of cristo
Quote:
On 2007-03-20 09:08, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
...This trick has one weakness and one possible flaw:
One, you get a very thick card that people are looking straigt at. A common problem with twisting effects like this and the reason why I'm not sure how well they work in real life...

Not to derail this but I wondered about that problem myself. It is supposed to be 1 card but it has a thick edge which is visible. (Of course I'm using some old greasy cards...) On crappy internet video you can't see that, but up close in person???
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

By all means cristo, please derail it. People are still occasionally trying to identify this trick even though we have figured it out eons ago. Wish I knew how to edit and add things to a post in which case I would ask people not to do bother anymore. Smile

Yes, I am almost tempted to suspect that many effects out there work a great deal better in the video preview before you buy it than in actual life. This I have been thinking of quite a bit.

In my world, I will be doing magic mostly in daylight across a small table in a café or sitting next to someone on a bench or chair. Their faces will not be much further away from the deck than my own. If I can see a thick card, which I usually can no matter how even they are aligned, then why wouldn't they?

It is more difficult to track moving objects when someone else is coordinating the motion, this is true. For instance I find it difficult to read a web page if someone else is scrolling downwards and not me myself. Even if it is slow and even. I don't have the ability to sync so I get lost. Nevertheless... I feel that there are a great deal of tricks that I may not get away with up close.

At the moment I am tinkering with "Bluff Shift" from The Complete Works of Derek Dingle. If I understand it right, the effect stands or falls on whether or not you can pick up 4 cards and make everyone think it is one. I can see that there are more cards. And I can easily imagine someone else picking up on that too. Actually, there is a lot of motion in this one so it may be quite deceptive after all when done in a context. But the worry remains.

Even DLs worry me when used with a thick deck with darkened edges. With the new Stud deck I just opened, I can put a DL almost all the way up to my nose and not see that there are two cards. But with my "regular" cards or with more than one extra... I remain skeptic.