The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I want to see the manager! :: Sales Announcement Annoying :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
canyoubelieveit
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of canyoubelieveit
I know Steve Brooks will shoot this one down quick and hard?

Perhaps Mr. Brooks should set up YET ANOTHER FORUM for his sales motivated announcement messages?

I HAVE A FEW HOT DATES WAITING FOR ME AND I FIND HIM. UGH! NOT CUTE. IT'S A TOUGH SITUATION.

I JUST WISH THE BOSS COULD BE A BIT MORE CONSIDERATE ALTHOUGH IT'S PLACE. WE ARE GOOD.

OH WELL.

Tom
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
You know, I try really hard to accommodate folks and provide an area where people can seriously help one another in a wholesome environment free of stupidity, vulgarity, idiots and losers. It is unfortunate, but I am not always successful. Every now and again we have to deal with those who obviously have no real interest in learning, contributing or actually helping another person who is working hard to learn our craft. Case in point, a NEW member who posted the complaint I am answering: canyoubelieveit
Now normally we handle such matters behind the scenes via private messages and/or email. However, I thought it important that perhaps people get an idea of the kind of stupidity we deal with from day to day, and this is actually a very mild example.

Now, regarding the new member - Such a confrontational and sarcastic posting from someone who joined my free website site only today. A look at his profile confirms this:

--------------------------------
Username: canyoubelieveit

Odd that he said; "Perhaps Mr. Brooks should set up YET ANOTHER FORUM for his sales motivated announcement messages?"

I say odd because the last so called sales motivated message I sent to everyone was five (5) days ago (Thu, Jan 25th, 2007 at 08:49 PM (EST) ). Hmmm, since this disgruntled member joined the forum only today, how could he be complaining about a message he was never here to receive? Unless of course he is either: A) Registered here under more than one name. or possibly B) Has been recently banned.

That aside, all our Café members are (or should be) very familiar with our Café rules and etiquette (Please Read) area. Why? Because everyone joining this site confirms that they have read, understand and agree to follow all of our policies when they initially join my website. He agreed (had to in order to become a member), yet he is clearly unhappy...or is he? According to the message he posted earlier on the board ( click here to view, he was extremely happy to be here. No really, let me show you:

Posted by canyoubelieveit on Jan 30, 2007 7:53am:

"Wow great site! I like this very much. A magic fan for years, I'm a fan of close-up and stage. Yes, a strange combo but how it goes.

Keep up the great work!
"

Keep up the great work? Gee, is this the same guy who is complaining above? I'll let you be the judge. Smile

Judging by the tone of the two posts, the first praising us, the second extremely rude and sarcastic - the poster clearly has issues which are far beyond the scope of our little online community. I mean, I don't think that even the mentalists or the bizarrists can help this chap. Smile

Anyway, back to his main complaint about the receiving of sales messages from time to time, that is addressed in our A few rules to remember/Café etiquette. Specifically the paragraph which states:

SPECIAL NOTE: Occasionally members may receive announcements or special offers via private message from The Magic Café and its sponsors, or The Magic Bakery regarding magical products or events which we feel may be of interest to our magical members. When you signed up as a member of the Magic Café you agreed to receiving such notices from us as part of your FREE membership. This is a small price to pay for free access to such a great resource such as The Magic Café. Besides, if the message does not interest you, delete it. Smile

I always thought that was made perfectly clear, perhaps its just me and a few thousand other good members who understand the policies here. Smile

Now, I know many of you are wondering if Brooks has finally lost his mind (well, that's always been a debate amongst my family and friends), because normally you don't see me responding quite like I am doing today. Fact is, this bonehead caught me at the right time. It is painfully obvious (at least to me) that the sole purpose of this troll is to cruise around the site and stir up trouble. Yep, got to love the world wide web. Smile

The question is, would he do this at a magic meeting or convention? I doubt it.

You see, we don't know who he/she is at the moment, now do we?
Anonymity breeds anarchy - period. The fact of the matter is, with nobody really knowing who you are, many think the situation gives them free license to say and do things they would not normally do.

So, a loser who would not ever, ever dream of approaching someone at a magic convention and saying; "Hi, my name is Shy, can we talk about your website?" because he's too afraid, all of a sudden, he joins the Café where he can post messages and he says; "I HAVE A FEW HOT DATES WAITING FOR ME AND I FIND HIM. UGH! NOT CUTE. IT'S A TOUGH SITUATION". Geez, what a tool...but I digress.

Common courtesy and common sense quickly goes by the wayside when you introduce anonymity. My volunteer staff and I try very hard to encourage folks to: 'Act like you would act if you were in public or at a magic convention with your peers; act like you would act when people know who you are.' Unfortunately, not everybody does because many people love to have a dark side, if you will. An alter ego of sorts. To those people I would say: Please seek professional help, you'll thank yourself later and magic will be all the better for it.

Now I am first to admit that I am partially responsible, since I allow folks to join under various usernames. Still, I am hopeful that there are still good people in the world and I count on the honor system as it were.

There, I addressed the troll and got it off my chest - I feel so much better now. Smile

Have a great day everyone and happy posting. Smile

P.S. Yep, after over five years of insanity I can and do believe it! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks