The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Scarne Classic Ball Routine Footage? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Charles Adams
View Profile
Regular user
Silver Spring, MD
158 Posts

Profile of Charles Adams
Does anyone know if there exists any footage of Scarne performing his three ball routine? Second best is footage of another magus performing this effect. Any leads appreciated.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The Magic Castle has that footage.
Mobius
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2900 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Someone, at one time, was selling a DVD of Scarne. Not sure what was on it....
Tom
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2900 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I found a link to a site that was selling a Scarne video, but the link had long since expired.
Tom
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Curious how this effect (first in Stars of Magic) relates to the Mora, et al, three ball routine. The best of that to date, I think, has been David Roth's. Johnny Thompson does very well, too. Any compares or contrasts?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I have always wished I could see this performed, as the description given in "Stars of Magic" has always seemed sparse, and the explanation of the moves, while detailed and precise, doesn't give a clear visual image of the flow of the routine.
I used to see Scarne on television often during the 60s and 70s, so there ought to be a lot of video of him in existence, but I suspect most of it will be cards and dice, since his "bread and butter" was gambling related.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Years ago, I played around with Scarne's 3 Ball routine, and I recently opened Stars of Magic and re-learned it. I wanted to bump this thread, because while I do feel that I comprehend all of the moves, and I do feel that I am performing them adequately, I still can't be sure if my timing and overall feel of the routine is on point. I have videotaped myself performing this routine and I have watched it back several times - I am unimpressed. Smile I wonder though, it is just my lack of a compelling story to accompany the routine, or if I just need to work on the execution and timing of the moves.

So, has anyone found a video of this routine?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
I Believe That Johnny Thompson Has A Version Of This Routine On His DVD Set.

Johnny Has Now And Has Been The Journeyman Magician Of The Last Two Generations.

His Knowledge And Encyclopedia Of Effects Epitomizes And Surpasses The Stars Of Magic.

Quite Simply Put...

...He Is The Man!!!!

Check It Out.

Best,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1981 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Mike Gallo performs the Scarne routine pretty much straight out of Stars of Magic on his latest Penguin lecture. It’s fantastic.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
The Gallo lecture is one of my favorites that Penguin has done. Highly recommended!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
Second best is footage of another magus performing this effect

GIANCARLO SCALIA - SCARNE'S CLASSIC BALL ROUTINE
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Just now in the coin section Nothing Up My Sleeve, MB217 had a clip of David Roth and the 3 Ball Trick.