The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Long Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Do long cards only come into being by virtue of the cards next to it being short or are there marketed cards which are actually a bit longer than a regular deck?

If these are marketed items can anyone recommend a good source? Smile
Yakworld.
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
You know,

that is a truly philosophical question --like the chicken and the egg. Smile

I don't think I have ever seen long card gaffs-- just long cards because they are next to short cards.

I suppose there may be some in someone's collection from way back when, but I am not aware of a card company that would print long cards. It would totally mess up their settings and assembly line.

anybody know more about this?

Rolando
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
Check out Pro-Control by Gary Oulett - a small hard backed book. This shows how to make a long card (without having to shorten every other card in the deck!), controls with it and an explanation of the spread pass.
It is quite a good idea although I still prefer a thick card and add one to every deck.
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
Thanks,
Will do.

R
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Interesting. I've never used a long card, just the shorts. They're easy to make and don't stick out, so there's nothing to see. I'll have to try a long one sometime.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Here's a little tip. You'll find that often, Hoyle cards are just a smidge longer than Bikes, and they look enough alike that you can use one for a long card.

The Ouellet book is worthwile - Pro-control is very usable and practical. Virtually the same thing was created by Bill Severn, and I actually prefer the Sevren method.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hey Scott, where can I find the Sevren method?
Yakworld.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
"Bill Severn's Magic Workshop." The original printing, in hardcover, is probably at your local library. Otherwise, you can buy the Stackpole Books Paperback reprint for $12.95 at any major bookstore. It's called "The Long One," and is the first item in the book.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of luvisi
When I was a kid, what I would have really liked to find, is a printer who could round corners. I tried to make a mene tekel deck on my own, but my local printer couldn't round the corners, so all the cards were kind of funny looking.

I have heard that you can shorten or make strippers out of a batch of cards by clamping them in a vice with some extra cards from an old deck at the top and bottom. I don't remember if the work was put in with a sharp piece of glass, sandpaper, some sort of file, or something else. If you decide to experiment, please let us know what worked best for you. Smile

It would probably be a good idea to modify both ends by the same amount, so that you don't end up with one margin wider than another.

...of course you could always go the EASY way and use Houdini's locator card, described in "Houdini On Magic". Soak a card in water to split it, place a layer of silk between the layers and dry it again under pressure. Smile

Best of luck,
Andru
http://www.practicenotincluded.com/