The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Chung Ling Soo > What is the best book in your opinion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
What is the best book on William Robinson aka CLS?

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
New Orleans or BUST 2003!
janus
View Profile
New user
U.K.
6 Posts

Profile of janus
Hi Ellen.
The best one that I have is, "The Riddle Of Chung Ling Soo" by "Will Detxter" it is the First Printing dated September, 1955.

It contains many descriptions of his shows and lots of pictures of his "give away" fliers and posters etc.

Also a great description of the sale of many of his effects on November, 3rd, 1920. with the sums paid for them.... the whole sale realised £543. 15s. ...work that out at $1.52 cents to the £ (pound)

Just been looking at the description of his last show and the reproduction of the Death Cert.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Wally City of Lincoln U.K.
Smile
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
There is a fairly new book 'The Silence of C.L.S.'. It's expensive but received good review in Magic mag. Explains some of his effects, reprints his American booklets and letters to or from Houdini.

I haven't got it yet, it's on my to-buy list when I've saved up.

There is another, English book, who's name I've forgotten. Mostly poster reproductions.

The Riddle is very good. One of my favorites.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
You may also try "Chung Ling Soo, The Man of Mystery" by Gary Frank. Hardbound but only about 52 pages or so. It even has a color plate of a poster in it. I think this is about a $20.00 book. "Silence.." is nice because it covers a lot of the magic as well as the history and a nice color section as well if you like posters.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Thanks for your advice! I appreciate your time. Smile

Ellen