The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of American Magicians! :: Our Annual Picnic ~ Brainstorming Please! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Hi everyone,

My hubby and I have "volunteered" to coordinate our club's annual picnic this year. We want to make it a really fun event and draw in members that haven't visited the Assembly in awhile. I want to come up with some great activities throughout the day and was hoping that you all might help us to brainstorm! If your club were having an annual picnic, what are some of the things you would like to do???

Of course, we thought of the typical raffle/door prizes. Since we plan on inviting our SYM group as well, I would love to see an informal magic contest with the kids and have some of the adults possibly offer positive feedback to them.

I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

~ Kristen
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3077 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hi Kristen,

Making the picnic an occasion for a contest can be intimidating, and may inject too much pressure into an event that should be carefree and fun for everyone.

Some events that would be enjoyable for everyone:

Have a trick exchange -- everybody brings an effect (with instructions), DVD, or book that they no longer want to keep, wrap it up, and bring it to the picnic. Each item is numbered, corresponding numbered slips of paper are mixed in a hat or bowl, and everybody draws a number. So long as it's the number of an item they didn't bring, that's the item they get.

Or let people bring items to swap or sell, flea market-style. Everybody loves a great deal, and one man's trash is often another man's treasure.

By all means, invite everybody at all experience levels to prepare a couple of effects to perform, just for the fun of sharing magic. No pressure.

Hiring a professional-level magician to provide a show could be a draw. If the picnic is exclusively for club members (and not for their whole families), the performer could lecture as well. Or get a few, and make it a mini magic convention!

I hope these ideas help.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Thanks Neil for the suggestions! It is truly appreciated! Our club just hired Jay Alexander to perform at our annual banquet and that was quite a hit!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I was thinking the same thing about finding a professional to visit. Lectures or shows from "a name" always help to fill the seats.

You can have a contest, just make sure that it is known beforehand. You might also have people register to participate, so you know if it will work. This might take out any fear or intimidation since it's totally voluntary and people aren't trying to decide on the spot whether to do it or not. Have both "youth" and "adult" categories so everyone can see something different.

How about the raffle / door prize you mentioned. Those are always a hit, especially if the prize is actually something valuable. Maybe a long out of print book or something.

Auctions, flea markets, etc... are always fun.

How about having a "dealer" area and invite a dealer from somewhere, hopefully close by if you have one, to attend? They can set up a table and those in attendance can have access to some new stuff.

Maybe you can offer a "free one year membership" to the SAM for a magician attending who is not already a member? Free is always good.

Sounds like you all will have a great time. You're certainly putting your thinking caps on and looking for ideas.

Good luck. Mark.
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions! This is the first time that my hubby and I have taken on a project for the club and we really want it to be a fun event for everyone!! Of course, you are talking to the woman who used to spend 6 months planning her daughter's birthday parties down to the last minute detail! LOL I always like to come up with something fun for everyone.

Please keep any suggestions coming! I always welcome helpful advice!!

Thanks again!!!!