The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Card Books! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Luke15
View Profile
New user
Montana
5 Posts

Profile of Luke15
Anyone know of any good card books? I'm looking for no gimmick stuff, simply impromptu with a regular deck. I'm getting more into this sort of routine. I was hoping to expand on it adding a little more diversity and quantity to my lacking card routine. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 8)
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Luke15

Try Easy Card Tricks by Bob Longe. It's published by Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Check your local book store for ISBN 0-8069-0950-1.

While you're browsing, consider the books by Karl Fulves (published by Dover, I think.)

Have fun!

Julie
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
It might help those suggesting books if they knew what your skill level was?

What kind of material do you do right now?
Luke15
View Profile
New user
Montana
5 Posts

Profile of Luke15
Amateur I suppose. I'm quite familiar with a deck of cards, but I can't say there is anything extraordinary I can do with them at the moment. I'm ready to step it up, I'm not looking for the "Beginners Course in Card Tricks" I guess is what I'm trying to imply.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Take a look at the new "Card College Light" by Robert Giobbi.
It's getting rave reviews everywhere as an ideal book for new material.

After that, you might want to also take a look at the various volumes of "Card College", which gets into more advanced material.

Of course, if you want to get a lot of material for not very much money, you can't go wrong with "Royal Road to Card Magic" by Hugard. It by itself could theoretically keep you busy for a couple of years.
It's put out by Dover, and costs under ten bucks.....it's been a cardworkers bible for many, many years now.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Anything and everything by Harry Lorayne is terrific (start with "Close-Up Card Magic"). If you are looking for something simpler have you checked into "Magic with Cards," by Frank Garcia and George Schindler, or Steve Beam's "Semi-Automatic Card Tricks" series?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1797 Posts

Profile of Rennie
You cannot go wrong with The Card Magic of Nick Trost. Trust me on this....
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I'll second SilverKing's suggestion about Card College Light. Even though this book is about sleightless tricks, I would recommend this to even guys who can do the most difficult sleights. It is that good. Roberto Giobbi has really done a beautiful job with this. The Card Magic of Nick Trost is good too, if nothing else for the sheer volume of effects. I still would stick with Card College Light, though. It really is excellent.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Rennie,

I have seen you mention The Card Magic Magic of Nick Trost many times. I consider it one of the top 5 book purchases I have ever made in the last 20 years. A GREAT book that L&L should republish for the unfortunate souls who missed it first time around.

Best,

Vlad
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
If your looking to go to the next step i.e basic to intermediate sleights books by Aldo Colombini Nick Trost Bob Longe & Peter Duffie are a good way to go.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7052 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Read everything ever written by Harry Lorayne on card magic- period.
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
Royal Road to Card Magic
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One book that is often overlooked is Basic Card Technique by Anthony Norman. It's a classic.

And don't forget to get something on presentation and showmanship. There are hundreds of guys who can do very fine technical card work, but they may be lacking in showmanship. If you can make your magic look significant and entertaining, you will be way ahead of the guy who bores the poo out of people with low impact presentations of card tricks.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com