The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Shipping Costs (Habitual Overcharging) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Hi

My concern is over postage costs

On virtually* every item I have ever purchased in the last 2 years I have been over charged for shipping! I have ordered from the big dealers, individuals, Authors themselves and so on.

My problem is not with the money (as in each case it is obviously quite small) but with what seems to be an accepted practice -

If you generalize about my experiences we are talking very large sums of money for some retailers. It is most likely being done for the sake of simplicity but figures are always (in my experience) rounded up.

Anyone else noticing this?

Kind Regards

Stephen Thompson (Ireland)

(*The only exception to this over charging of note was when an individual emailed me after shipping to say that he had under-quoted and had been burned on the postage cost. I happily split the difference (as I think this is the fairest "after the fact" approach))
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2478 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The charge is what it is ... would it help if the shipping cost was $2 less and the price of the goods was $2 more?

Another factor: for orders in the States, I can walk out my apartment door and set the package by the building mailbox and the postman will pick it up. I don't even have to put on my shoes. For most UK orders, I have to drive to the post office, wait in line, and fill out a customs form - half an hour minimum there and back. There are extra costs in time and $$$ associated with that.

Get out your calculator and total the price of the goods plus whatever the shipping charge is. That's the price of your purchase, all things considered, and if someone else can do better then take your business to them.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Of course and I take all of that on board.

I am also in business and have to factor in all the costs - especially my own time.

It is more an issue of clarity: In my work, should we need to post abroad we simply weigh the item and frank the envelope. It is no more difficult than sending a letter - so we only increase the cost to the buyer by the exact increase in postage cost. Seems fair to me.

I suppose it is just simply annoying and I wanted to vent.
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
119 Posts

Profile of docmagik
In the case of many mail-order products you purchase on TV, the entire price of the product (materials, creation, handling, shipping) is included in the shipping and handling charges. Everything else, those "three easy payments" or that "Low, low price of $19.95," is pure profit.

My wife and I would have long ago given up on selling so many of our used books on Half.com if we weren't clearing a little bit of profit on the shipping--otherwise, it just wouldn't be worth the time.

I'll tell you what though--I'm grateful, as a buyer, that people selling stuff here at the Café just quote one total price, for the most part.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2478 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The ultimate example of this is the "self-amortizing premium." Advertising genius.

"Send in 10 Wheaties box-tops and $1 for shipping/handling and get this neat prize!"

The $1 paid the entire cost of the prize, shipping and a little profit, the 10 box-tops were an extra bonus.

Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
My mother thought I needed variety. I was so screwed when it came to collecting box tops.

I'd rather have a vendor quote me a price for the whole she-bang than insult my intelligence with a huge shipping fee. I shop around anyway and compare total costs, and occasionally have paid a few cents more to a vendor who didn't try to wool my eyes.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2478 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Trying to see both sides (though I initially told the OP to quit whining):

As a merchant, if I have a policy that potential customers are averse to, they won't place orders. I would do better to find another way to amortize my costs.

I remember feeling good about ordering from Brian Flora, even at $55 per VHS tape, because there was no shipping charge at all.

Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

For me it all comes down to being totally transparent.

A "book" being "shipped" from the UK to Ireland can often be a booklet posted from the UK to Ireland.

Actual cost is about a pound sterling. ( It says it on the envelope when you receive it! ) but they charge shipping prices. Its nonsense. If you incur higher costs for shipping spell them out and do it honestly. If not - don't

I think in an industry based on reputations and the desire for repeat business it is bad business not to be seen to be clear about these things.

S