The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Levitation (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Quote:
On 2003-12-24 16:40, zaubern wrote:
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but doves can already fly....why make them float? Its kind of like...why do we make people levitate? Because they can not do it. Just my opinion

Tisk tisk, what a smartie pants, its still magical to see, so people see doves everyday, you don't see doves levitating on their own everyday.

From the laymans point of view that is still magic and a good illusion. don't listen to these magicians that are not impress with this illusion, you are not performing for THEM...carrying on
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I do agree with Dan and Zaubren. Doves can fly. Beat that! I have never done a dove levitation for an audience. If I had to admit how long I have been doing dove magic it would get even worse. It just never appealed to me.

However, I have done the hypnotized dove bit for about three decades. But it fits my routine. I tell the audience "I got my doves at a pet shop that only sold dogs. So when my doves came the only book I could get was about dogs and dog training. And we learned a dog trick: playing dead. But I did get some good names from the book for my doves. This one is Spot and that one is Rover." When they see that the doves are solid white, they understand why I am a magician. They even offer help after the show. Some really believe it. Most just laugh.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I don't mean to sound like a "smartie pants" and I am sure there are people impressed by a dove "floating" but as I said before, there is a reason magicians make objects fly. Because it is impossible. Doves have the natural ability to fly so where is the mystery in this? I am sure that if you ask a person if they had ever seen someone actually fly they would all give you the same response...no. I have never actually done this effect in public but with all the ridiculous questions like "do you have pockets in your hands" I am sure someone out there will think that I have somehow trained the dove to "fly" in place. But that is just my opinion. I would much rather see something impossible (like a person) float in the air than a dove which as we all know is naturally blessed with this ability.
Zaubern Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Just as an after thought, if a Zombie routine were in the same show with a dove levitation, which would you rather see? I have never seen a dove levitation that could hold a candle to even an average Zombie routine.

Assuming I could do either and that my job is to entertain an audience, why would I not do the Zombie instead? I want to save my doves for something better.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Personally I have done a zombie floating chicken with a 3rd hand gimmick and cloth. But I am special.

When I have seen Birch at the Castle doing the dove levitation, the effect gets a good reaction from lay people after he pulls out the loop to show no attachments.

It was the signature piece for Silvan and I think he won FISM with it.

My advise go to http://www.hanklee.com. Buy the $30.00 method and if it works for you, buy Dan version which is much superior.

Love
G0THIKE
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Silvan method is explained in Supreme's Dove Encyclopedia, Vol.4.

The books are out of print, but I will sell you the whole 5 Volume set for $300.00. Besides Silvan methods there is Fantasio, and Chen Kai Dove production methods.

Bill Smile
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
That is a very good price for the books guys. I just seen only 1-4 without dust jackets for 500!

I will promise you if someone buys these 5 books you will think differently about dove magic!

do you have any manuscripts from ian, bill?

dj

Put them on ebay man! you will pull 600 if they have dust jackets if not I bet about 600 still!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I used the dove levitation many years ago, and the only problem I had was not in hyptonizing the dove, rather the problem was after the dove was laying still, if he suddenly got a wild urge to flip over and fly, you looked like an idiot standing there with that gimmick sticking out of your pants!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
I was amazed by Dan Birch's... clean yet convincing
retrostylemagic
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Making a dove,a creature that can already fly levitate certainly may not be logical but making it float still in the air in an unnatural position IMHO may be the explanation for its logic.
I am however against the dove levitation for what it does to the poor bird.
Just my 2 cents.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Why float a dove vertically when you can safely hypnotise it vertically upside?
Matt
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We have covered many reasons why we don't see many magicians doing dove levitations anymore. Essentially, it is because they can fly anyway. But the dove in a container that levitates would not only be simpler but also could possibibly quite beautiful. For time (1990-95) for childrens shows, I produced a hampster in an exercise ball from a square circle. Then he could travel at will during the show.

Why not do something close to that with a dove in a ball shaped cage and make it into a Zombie routine? Or better yet, a pair of doves?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2004-06-22 16:58, Bob Sanders wrote:
Why not do something close to that with a dove in a ball shaped cage and make it into a Zombie routine?

Is it already on the market, or does it has to be custom made?
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
I never did the dove levitation but hypnotizing the dove is really quite easy. There was an article in the New Tops mag that covered it well and as far as I know it does no harm to the dove. I think the hypno part of the levitation would be what really sells it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Zombie Bird cage was on the market some years ago by Hank Lee Magic. I also found the manufacturer in a western country on line. I ordered one, they also had another model as well, more like the dome bird cage.
JeremyE.Hughel
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of JeremyE.Hughel
Floating and flying are two different things.... if you like it try it