The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Wanted: Ring & String Book References (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I am getting back to Greg Wilson's Ring Leader, and would like a book (or 2) with the moves printed out - The DVD is great for initially learning the moves, but
I find it easier to pull out a book and turn to a given page to get a quick refresher on how to do a move.

The Books Wilson referenced in his video are

Tokyo Trickery
uses gaffed rings

Kabala
Scotty York plus others?

Koram without Limits, by Danny Koram

Collection Five
Grippenwald Dean Stern, plus others

Variations by Earl Nelson?

Please correct my spelling, supply authors, and comment on how extensive the book is, how good the illustrations are, availability and approximate prices.

Thanks!
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5489 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Hi John,
The only Kabbala I have is volume 3, and there's some terrific card work but no ring & string. I believe you are looking for volume 11, number 2, which has Scotty York's Ringer.

Tokyo Trickery is written by Takeshi Nemoto, and I still see it for sale. It only has the one ring & string item you mention, but there are a few other worthwhile items in the book. It is 85 pages, comb bound. Photos are poor quality and b&w, but clear enough to get what you need from them. Probably about $10.

Korem Without Limits (a surprisingly underrated book), by Danny Korem, has his routine, "Three Round Ringer" (based on York's material). This is a well produced book with plenty of photos and clear explanations. Probably about $40.

You may also want to check out Dan Garret's DVD "Close-Up Connivery," which has his terrific routine, The Faustus Ring. Additionally, Bob Miller's video called "The Relentless Ring & String" offers multiple methods and routines.

Finally... I can't close this out without mentioning The Godfather's terrific piece of work, "The Flying Trapeze." I love this. PM Vinny about that one.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
Evan (aka Magiguy)
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Evan

Thanks. I'm not looking for new material, there is a lot in Ring Leader; I just wanted the moves in printed form for easier access during practice and future reference.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5489 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Gotcha!
Great (signed) copy of Korem here:
http://www.bradburybooks.com/recent.htm

Inexpensive copy of Tokyo Trickery here:
http://www.magicstor.com/files/magic_books_t.htm
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
"the art of close-up-magic" vol.1 by Lewis Ganson.
You will find some basic sleights.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Tokyo Trickery is available from MagicalMethods ( Jerry Mentzgers online store)
Kabala Volume Two ( the bound book version ) has the York moves. I have this book if you are interested.
Edited to add I realize this is a very old thread Smile
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Ring and String Routine - Mark Leveridge. His original "ring on" move is really nice - I use a modified version of it.

Magic With Finger Rings - Jerry Mentzer

Dan Fleshman's lecture notes also detail the move popular moves.