The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Force bag query (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Hi all,

Hope you had a great Christmas.

I'd like to make a clear force bag for coins using a money bag (like the ones you get from the bank). Can anyone offer any assistance on the best way to go about this?

Kind regards and best wishes,

Ross
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
A pair of scissors and a couple of heavy freezer bags, maybe some decorative tape. That should do it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Just a untested thought...

I have a thing that will suck the air out of a bag and seal it. it's meant for putting stuff in the freezer but with some alighment I bet you could carefully snip a bag apart, add a new layer then use the hot wire to remake the edges.

This sounds like a good idea, and people trust money bags, I'm off to the kitchen to give it a go...
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I have made several from sheet protectors (the ones you'd use to store papers in, not something for your bed!). You need two per bag. Just cut three pieces of the same size, staple them together on three edges and use your selection of tape to cover up the staples.

The same process Spellbinder described, just different material. I found sheet protectors (I use Esselte brand) a really good choice because of their material. Not only its thick, its sort of a matte finish (but still very see-thru) which hides the center piece really well.
Sent from my Typewriter
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I made some of these simply by cutting the insert from a duplicate freezer bag. I have a little appliance that seals bags of potato chips, pretzels, etc. back together, it applies slight heat, melting/sealing the snack bags closed to keep them fresh. I found that this device will also seal the sides and bottom of the insert to the freezer bag, making a very nice, deceptive clear change bag. Works great if you have this little device, I picked it up for a couple bucks somewhere a few years ago, but don't know where they're available now.
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Jkvand,

Was it something like this:

http://www.aid-pack.co.uk/webapp/wcs/sto......rn=13220
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Some more here:

http://www.thepackagingstore.co.uk/produ......+sealers

Although 72 quid is quite expensive methinks. Does anyone know where I might be able to get this done by someone? My plan is to make a clear force bag from a small bank money bag. I want to heat seal the insert so that it is closed at all times.

Or does anyone have any other ideas? The use a tape to stick down the four sides would look messy and suspect.

Best wishes,

Ross
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Ross:

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is the one I bought:

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=005743

It's very expensive for what you get, but it is extremely well made. You mentioned a clear money bag - that may be unique to the UK as I've never seen something like that at US banks.

Ron
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
Thanks for the response Ron,

I've seen these and I'm sure they are well made - but the idea of pulling out a large zip lock bag whilst doing walkaround makes me cringe. Although I'm sure they would be ideal for a stage show.

Over here in the UK, the banks give out small (5cm x 8cm ish)clear bags for shops, etc to bag up change, on request. They are totally normal looking and everyday - which is why I'm drawn to using them. Also, I'm looking to force a coin - so these will be perfect. The idea that seems the best is heat sealing - but I don't want to spend £70 + on this machine.

I'm hoping that someone on the Café (preferably in the UK)has one of these machine and could do this for me (I'd pay them for their time of course) or else someone has another way of sealing the bags (with heat?) without buying a machine.

I've considered using staples but it could draw suspicion...the search continues...

Kind regards and Happy New Year all!,

Ross

Ross
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Magi:

Happy New Year Smile

I'm going to use a clear force bag for a bit by Andrew Mayne, and the heat sealer idea sound pretty slick. I'll bet Wal*Mart carries these little sealer gizmos in the housewares section.

I thought glue would work, but superglue, rubber cement, and hobby glue (airplane dope) have all failed. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Leland

[Since posting, I've checked the WalMart site with no luck; appliances similar to what I believe were mentioned above sell at Amazon for $65+]
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
479 Posts

Profile of Ross
I just brought one of these:

http://safield.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/72

I also saw the same product on ebay (UK).

I'll let you all know the fruits of my labour as soon as possible!

Kind regards,

Ross
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Ross,
The thing you just bought is very similar to what I have. I found it here, it's called a Euro-sealer. http://as-seen-on-tv-products.ws/store/a......o+sealer
It retails for about $10, and works great. A word of caution from experience - don't try to run the sealer along the whole edge of the bag. I discovered that by simply pressing it together at 2 or 3 points along each edge creates enough of a seal to hold the insert firmly in place. When I tried to seal the entire edge, it was noticeable, but by just making 2 or 3 small points of contact along each edge, it is nearly impossible to notice, and looks great. BTW, I use it to make a bag just like the one Ron showed, using Zip-Lock freezer bags. But I'm sure you could use it for smaller plastic bags as well. Let me know if you have any questions once you get the device. Best of luck, Jeff
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Jkvand:

That worked GREAT -- I just got one this evening and finished my force bag.

N.B.: The sealer was available at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond in their "as seen on TV" store section.

Thanks for the tip,
Leland
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Glad it worked out, Leland! It's a simple way to make a great prop.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Has anyone tried using a laminating machine for this?

Regan
Mister Mystery
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Quote:
On 2007-01-03 21:39, Regan wrote:
Has anyone tried using a laminating machine for this?

Regan

I don't think they are accurate enough, and the traction feed may cause some issues.

You can get battery powered hand held bag sealers from the pound ($) shop they should work for tacking an insert in place.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"