The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: My Gaffed Coin Passed the Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Funny story:

I mistakenly left a stack of English pennies out on the coffee table this afternoon. My father in law, an avid numismatist, asked about the coins and before I could react, had picked them up and was looking at them. This is about the point that I realized I had left a shell on one of them --. He casually looked at each coin, front and back, asking more about the pre-decimalization English pennies. He put them down, having NOT NOTICED the shell!! This is obviously a testament to the amazing quality of the shell. I'm not being paid, so I won't advertise here (PM me if you want to know). Just thought I'd share my little scare with you!

MK
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
He looked at the coin with the shell on it front and back and still didn't notice? Either he's blind or that's one heckuva shell. A good magician buddy of mine once dropped a shell in a low lit, crowded, noisy place. It went straight down to the floor, but somehow disappeared after it hit the floor. We searched for nearly an hour and could not find it anywhere. The thought of someone finding that is unnerving - best dang souveneir ever!
Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Danville, KY
77 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
Quote:
On 2006-12-24 16:34, MichaelKent wrote:
Funny story:

I mistakenly left a stack of English pennies out on the coffee table this afternoon. My father in law, an avid numismatist, asked about the coins and before I could react, had picked them up and was looking at them. This is about the point that I realized I had left a shell on one of them --. He casually looked at each coin, front and back, asking more about the pre-decimalization English pennies. He put them down, having NOT NOTICED the shell!! This is obviously a testament to the amazing quality of the shell. I'm not being paid, so I won't advertise here (PM me if you want to know). Just thought I'd share my little scare with you!

MK

This took the old "don't run if you're not being chased" to a whole new level.

It doesn't surprise me at all though. My English Penny and African Dime ] sets are both very "tight". I would guess any coin ] made without the "edge grip" (knurl, broaching, or whatever you want to call it) can be made with much closer tollerances (provided your coin gaffer of choice actually wants to leverage that advantage). That's why I think it pays to buy from one of the "big guys". Just that little difference can be huge sometimes.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Exactly!

The interesting thing is that it was an expanded shell - it's not "tight" at all - just very close-fitting.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1043 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
This happened to me, also. I let my audience management slip for a second, and the spec picked up the coins on the mat. One had a shell on it. She looked at the coins for a while and casually put them down, not noticing the shell. Made me nervous as hell, but everything turned out fine.
Patrick
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
Once someone said to me, after a trick, "hey, that coin's smaller than the other one!" and grabbed it from the table. He actually found the innocent coin suspicious because it didn't seem as big as the one with the [ ! I secretly removed the [ and told the spec they were actually both the same size, that it was just a trick of the light. "Oops, my mistake" he said.

Euro shells really are a little thick, but it helps to have a spectator to match.
Ryan:Ruple
View Profile
New user
Mandeville, LA
39 Posts

Profile of Ryan:Ruple
Hey,

Wow, that must be some shell. My Johnson shell would easily be detected in that kind of a "predictament", I guess you could say. That's why I think I should really move on to Schoolcraft.

--Ryan
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It is also possible that he knew that you were into magic and he showed impeccable manners in not revealing his discovery.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
It is possible, John. But it's my guess he wouldn't have known what a shell was and therefore wouldn't have ignored it -- especially being a numismatist.