The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Finally..New Birds! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
After many failed attempts, I finally got one!!

I was out at my family christmas party last night, and when I returned home I found out that one of my eggs had finally hatched! And there sitting under Mom was a brand new baby dove!

I was soo excited. This is the first one I have been able to sucessfully hatch. (Not that I really had anything to do with it of course lol) All of the other attempts have either been broken eggs, not fertile, or some other problem.

Now I just have to sit back and patiently wait to see the the second one is going to hatch! I can't wait!!
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hey Shaner!! How are you? Glad to hear you have a sucessful batch! Fun isn't it?!! *smile*

Most (notice I said "most") of the time, if one is fertile, they both are fertile, but sometimes you just get one, but hey, its fun to watch the process anyway. I am patiently waiting for a couple of mine to break out.

Good luck - its addictive! As you already know! *haha*
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Shaner, congrats! the second egg should hatch today or tomorrow. In about a week, you won't believe the size of the bird that came out of that little egg. Seems impossible. A true magic trick.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
You are right about that Dave! I remember the first time that I ever got fertilized eggs. It was just so remarkable how fast they grew! Nature is a miracle in itself with creation. Within a few weeks it was unbelieveable how fast they began to look so mature, and then a couple of months you almost couldn't tell the difference between the newbie and the adults! Could you imagine if humans could do that? WOW! what a population boom! *smile*
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
That Must be the best feeling!!!! Smile

I havent had any luck with the eggs acually hatching, but I'm sure with time I will..

Hope the growing process of your new Dove Goes Well!!!

Peace
David
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Great to hear that, Shaner! I only have my 1 dove now, but in a few years, and after college, I'll be getting a female and they'll be having some baby doves (I hope..)

Cant wait.. Good luck with your birds and I hope the second one hatches..
-Vinnie
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Well we managed to get the second one hatched as well (although the second does not seem to have hardly and pinfeathers at all, he looks quite bald!)

I also got to witness them being fed by one of the parents Kind of a strange thing actually, because I was not really too sure what Mom was doing as it looked very strange, but really neat all at the same time

I can't wait to watch the whole growing up process. It will be educational!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Shaner, one bird will always be just a bit smaller than the other at birth and will seems less developed as far as pin feathers etc. Don't worry, it will be fine.

Both parents will feed the young ones. They eat a lot so be sure to keep plenty of food available for the parents. In about 4 weeks or so, you'll see the babies begging the parents for food and they'll ignore the request. It's all part of the teaching experience. The baby will learn that his food comes in a dish, not in a mouth.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Sort of like Dating! *haha*
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Just be careful, though. I started out with 8 doves and in no time at all, I had 80.

Even though I have had lots of babies, you are all right, it is still a miracle to watch. I never tire of watching them.

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Shaner that fantastic to hear! I'v been do magic for 28 years and 21 years using dove, out of the hundreds of eggs my doves put out None ever came to life. In New York I had 14 doves, here in Florida I had two and recently lost one so I only have one Smile

Dakota do you have any you can send my way Smile
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Actually, I do have some, but shipping has become a problem. Over the Holidays, I'm going to check into shipping again, and see what can be done about it.

Dakota
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Maro, here's a discussion we all had recently concerning the shipping problem Dakota referenced.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&42
Where the magic begins
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Dakota I will be more than happy to pay for the Dove and shipping, but lets wait until after the holidays for shipping. Thanks Man.

Sorry guys didn’t mean to go off the topic.

Best,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Wow Maro! Do you use only females or something? That seems like a LOT of eggs with no babies.
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
I had both males and females. I did try separating the eggs and kept them warm myself, no I did not sit on them, lol. I kept them under lights and try separating the female of the eggs for the other doves not to bug her, but never in my magic life time seen a baby dove. Smile

Maro

Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Maro, that could have been the problem. The adult doves have a built in sense on how warm to keep the doves. If they get too cool, they sit on them. Too warm and they leave them alone for a bit. Since you're not a dove, you wouldn't have that knowledge. Both the male and the female needs to sit on the eggs until they hatch.
Where the magic begins