The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: How to oil an appearing cane? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mjmoretz
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of mjmoretz
Well, I just got my first appearing cane from my lovely wife for Christmas. I've been enjoying it, and wish to do so for a long time. What sort of oils have worked well for you? And do you oil the inside? Thanks.

Is this an uncouth question?
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
549 Posts

Profile of martini
I have two appearing canes, each more than 15 years old and working fine. Remember to always keep it extended and not in the closed position. I keep mine in two golf club tubes. These can be bought in K-mart or any golf supply or sporting goods store. With the cane fully extended, I spray it with WD-40 each month and wipe it down good with an old cloth diaper. I have done this month after month all this time and my canes have never failed me yet. I closed off the bottom of the golf tubes with a piece of cardboard and duct tape. For the tops I have two caps that slide snugly over the ends.
Hope that this helps.
Marty
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Marty is correct, however, I have never had my extended. I very lightly oil them with 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil then wipe them off. Two of my Walsh metal canes (Appearing/Disappearing) are over 50 years old. I do keep them wrapped in a cloth which does have oil in the fiber and packed in their original boxes.

By the way, Fantasio canes do not need oiling.

Presently I have two appearing and two disappearing metal canes, an appearing metal wand, an appearing torch to cane, and a half dozen Fantasio canes.
Dennis Michael
mjmoretz
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of mjmoretz
I appreciate your kindness and advice. I hope to disappear a silk with the cane and reappear the silk in a goblet ala 20th Century. Thank you both.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I would have thought that silicone spray would be better than oil for lubricating a cane. The excess solvent evaporates leaving the dry lubricant behind.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
DO NOT OIL THE INSIDE!

This will ruin or stain your silks, should you decide to attach the silks on the tip!

I use silicone spray which is sometimes more difficult to find than off the shelf WD-40. Only on the outside, of course!

Incidentally, I bought a can of WD-40 which also came with a gimmicked can of WD-40 which is really a radio. Ever seen one of these?

I have been trying to find some context for this in a routine. Ideas anyone?
kingsnqueens
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
77 Posts

Profile of kingsnqueens
Hello mjmoretz,

It sounds like you have a wonderful wife to buy you magic.

I'm going to give you some advise that I hope will serve you well.

There's a product called Renaissance Wax (do a search for it on line).

This was made for museums to protect ancient armor, and swords. It's fantasic, but a little costly.

Don't worry it only takes a bit. A little goes a long way. Oh yeah! it won't stain your silks either.

I use it on all my metal props, and my magic collection. Check it out you'll be glad you did.

Best Wishes & Good Magic! .... Manyfingers
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
This is a three step process that should be repeated yearly.

1) Capture a cane. If necessary sneak up on a stray cane. Be careful though as it has sharp blades running up and down it's surface. Do not taunt the cane, anger will only cause the beast to strike. Ask the poor soul some questions to help calm his nerves. If you can't get any information about the real Area 51 move on to step 2
2) Once captured you must now hose down the cane with silicone or WD-40. Or you can instead hose down an innocent cloth and then torture both by taking the cane and rubbing it repeatedly with the helpless cloth (you tyrant)
3) Give your first victim a break and seek out another unsuspecting cloth. Make sure to seek out another clean well bred cloth. Make sure said cloth is of age. Demand proof of this. Ask the cloth if it would like to get try a new form of massage, call it a full metal massage. Once again repeatedly assult the cane with the clean cloth. Finally throw both cloths into an incinerator(to destroy the evidence)

Hope this helps
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I have always used parafin oil, which is a waxy oil used in some lamps.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com