The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Another tipover box question! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1185 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I'm making a tipover box, about 35cm by 20cm. I've never seen a real one, only the diagram in Tarbell. I made one before by adapting a fake "antique" box from a chain store but I wasn't very happy with it because the standard of construction of the original box was poor and it had a ridiculous plinth which aroused (unwarranted) suspicion.

Anyway, I am struggling, as others have before, with the placement of the hinges. In my first attempt I actually used pins rather than hinges, that went horizontally through the outer box into the fake bottom. But it still left a small gap that I had to disguise with black art, and the placement of the pins was hit and miss.

I'd really like to see a picture of a working box so I can grasp how others have solved this problem, and on the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words. Can anyone oblige?
Jolyon Jenkins
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
In "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic" book, he gives excellent advice and diagrams for building a Tip-Over Trunk. Here is a link to the book.

Mark.

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Wilsons-Compl......;s=books
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1185 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks - but just to clarify, I'm interested in a portable box, rather than a trunk on a base. If I recall, Wilson has the base on castors, and the box is hinged onto the base at the front. But this won't work for what I'm making.
Jolyon Jenkins
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
I have build small one and could send you pictures of how I build them. There is a small thing you need to know about te placement af the 'backwall'. I think placing them here is not an option so when you are interested: magic.evi@home.nl and I will send you some pictures.
Gr, EVI
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Best thing is first build the chest without bottom.
Make an edge around the bottom.
And after that place the bottom inside and completely against that edge.
Screw it there with a pianohinge.
You have a relatively small box so perhaps it is wise to glue some sort of vilt
on the inside (and so on the lid/trapdoor).
When you build it like this you will notice that you secret compartment on the back needs a little foot under it.
The thing most people forget is that when you tip your box it moves forward (just a little bit but it does..)
and therefore in your first attempt the trapdoor probably moved behind and outside you chest.
It has to move forward with your box.
So you have to place your trapdoor in such a way that it stays inside the box and
falls against that edge...
Hope this makes any sense to you.
Gr, EVI
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1185 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
MagicErik puts his hinge inside the box so that it is visible when the box is open - although there are ways to make it less prominent and probably no one will see it in the few seconds while the inside is displayed. I don't think this will work for what I'm doing - I'm making it in natural oak and want it to look very clean inside.

Has anyone found a way to put the hinge on the outside/underside? I am thinking of making a sort of rubber/elastic/fabric hinge that can stretch slightly.
Jolyon Jenkins
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Euh can't put the hinges on the outside.. The best way to cover up is glue black velvet on the inside. The hinge will 'disappear' in that...
Gr, EVI