The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Types of Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
If you check-out Magicpitch.com you might be able to get Gary Animal's older style cups for $99! I bought a set, and while not knowing too much about Cups, I can say that these are large nice cups. These are great for beginners. He only had a few sets left. It took about 8 days for them to be delivered to me in the States.

Charles Spector Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lately I have used the Riser Mini Cups (carry in jacket pocket) and my own Hindu Indian Cups. OK, I sell Galli Galli and Johnny Paul cups, but don't do the streets so I don't need the large Gallis myself, but having had years of doing the Vernon routine with Paul Fox cups I didn't feel like learning the ins and outs of the Johnny Paul routine (but, if I was working a bar or restaurant that would be my FIRST choice).

The Hindu cups are unique and offer a very funny premise that really plays well for me.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
http://www.cupsandballs.nl defunct?

I chatted with this dutchman at his booth at SAM 100th in NYC. I forgot his name but I cannot get his link to work. Is he still in business? He turns out really beautiful cups. I got a kick out of his finish. He offered the 3 stacked cups for examination after the fruit? production. They seemed like the same 3 cups that I had just watched during the routine but when I handled them...They were ONE PIECE OF METAL!
I guess he soldered 3 together in a stack. I wont forget it.
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Not so. The site works for me.
tr
Smile
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
Talk to Ron Jaxon. He has some INCREDIBLE ideas with the cups and balls, only I probably don't have permission to tell you more. Just private message him, he's in these forums a good amount. I have to warn you though, you won't be able to look at cups and balls the same way again!

Thanks very much for the kind words.

Yea, I do have a kind of different outlook on cups and balls. I pretty much see it as an impromptu effect. Because of that, I've spent a lot of time preparing for those "impromptu" performances.. Smile

Below is a link to the short write up I made on cups and balls that where mentioned. I made this page for two reasons. One is honestly just to display a little of my collection. I also hope it'll just give some other magicians something to think about when it comes to the cups and balls. Maybe it'll trigger some ideas that you haven't thought about.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
I use the Johnson Copper Combo Cups. I absolutely despised the crocheted balls that came with the set. Nothing against the balls really, I just found them difficult to handle.

Then I discovered that the House of Fakini made 1" silicone balls! They are the same quality as the rest of the Fakini line (i.e. the silicone compound makes palming a nearly effortless afterthought)

I'm not sure if Frank is still producing these or not. I picked mine up at the Abbott's Get-Together a few years ago for $5.00.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Jaxon. Those are some great cups ideas. I especially like the collapsable cups.
Magic is fun!!!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
That foam collapsible cup look a lot like something I already have. I should give it a try.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
To begin with sponge balls are no less of an impact as a final load than fruit or solid balls are.
It's the surprise that nails people. I use sponge balls as a final load often and then go into a sponge routine and I get excellent results. I guess it would depend on your routine of course but it does work!
I have used Michael Ammars rubber fruit but found it too cumbersome to carry around especially when table hopping or strolling. They take up lots of precious space. (they are a very good quality product though!) Sponge balls do not take up lots of space. They will fit in your front pockets nicely.
One other note. Nowadays, I use only 2 cups. The third is also extra hassle and not needed with a well structured routine.
Oh yea, I use Johnson C&B's.

See the following link about cups and balls. It a good link!

http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/SelectingCups.html
Daniel Faith
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I just bought a set of Jim Riser's mini cups and balls and they look great and handle beautifully. I've been buying magic props for 30 years and I don't think I've ever been happier with a purchase. Mr. Riser puts out a fantastic product.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I have a number of different sets of cups. Sisti, Fox, and original Bertram. As for the balls I loved the set Garcia had, they were solid and had "life". I finally found a source for a solid 7/8" ball. Problem they were black and the material resisted most kinds of paint. Finally found a paint that would adhere well to the material and stay a little flexible.
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Plastic cups with a slightly recessed edge so they can nest so I can store them.....

and sponge balls Smile

for the FINAL LOADS, I use tinfoil or lemons. Smile
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I use the Danny Dew Paul Fox copper cups almost exclusively. I have other brands and about 10 sets, but keep going back to the Fox cups. Mine have never been polished, so they look antique and very interesting. There is something about the balnce and weight and the nice chunck and ring sounds you can produce from these cups. They also stack very securely without wobble.

The next set will probably be the Brett Sherwood Silver cups as I was about to have a set of my Fox cups engraved and plated. I like the look and want a set like that for my Tux Style Show. I have been able to handle a set and so am working on finding some extra paying shows to gather the funds. If someone has a set out there they want to offer me a deal on, please let me know.

With all due respect, I think you get a better more lasting response to solid final load balls. I use three large balls and a lemon and everyone comes up and squeezes them and comments, "Oh, they don't collaspe!" and "It's a real Lemon!"

Certainly the surprise is there no matter what you produce, but the larger and more firm, the better.

Kirk
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kirk cups are great... this aftrnoon at an antique shop I found a set of Indian (from India) cups that are awesome... all brass, thick, solid, ring like a bell and have about 200 years of patina.... definitely will be performing with these. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like the tinfoil idea. light weight.

Pete and Ron from the Café provided me enough info that I ended up getting a set of the JES cups which are supposedly a lot like the Paul Fox cups. I have not received them yet but they look great and I love the Paul Fox design. I see no difference in the look.

We'll have to see how they compare to my lovely Johnson cups. I really like those too.

I'm not a huge fan of the engraved look but I will say that I would not turn down the Sherwoods. Boy they look nice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.