The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Best/Favorite kind of Loops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys.. What are your loops made out of? I prefer 24 Gauge Beading Wire..

-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Beading wire is certainly in my "war bag". Likewise, for wire product loops I use floral wire, and 22 guage insulated copper wire. I also carry 10 lb. nylon fishing line. On occassion, I have even used dental floss. In white tie, it is fine. In black tie, it shows.

The best thing about wire is that it can be "clamped" to your lapel. The bad news is that with the new softer nylon tricot harnesses, the harnesses are not heavy enough to bend the wire and can stick out sideways empty. That problem is solved by using a ballbearing fishing swivel where the wire connects to the harness. I like the new harnesses because I can easily palm them. Wire actually helps shaped the palmed ball and keep it small.

For control, I still prefer nylon.

If you aren't confused yet, it's remarkable.

So in reality, I use them all.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
AlanSmola
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of AlanSmola
My favorite kind right now is just the average fishing line because when I produce the dove, I can tuck it behind my hand and it is clear so it's less noticable. I am also starting to experiment with wire, and it is nice being able to bend it to the lapel.

-Alan
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Bob, thanks for that (confusing) post.. haha..

Anyway, I am about to order like 200 feet of 24 gauge beading wire for like 5 bucks, and don't know which color to get.. Since I will be using it for both holders and harnesses, which color do you think I should get? Link: http://www.parawire.com/24gaugeParaWire.shtml

Thanks
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Different material for different productions. I don't believe there is any one best type of material. Floral wire is great for holding it's shape. For the newbie, you do need to pass the wire through a flame to change the color from green to black. Be sure to wipe is down after the burning though.

I use 28 guage steel wire that's readily available from hardware stores. It's cost about $1.50 for 50 ft. I also use Nylon braided fishing line which comes in black and can't be broken.

Wire is great as Bob says for bending around the lapel and as for attaching it to the harness, I use a hook up from Peter White where the loop is very small and attaches to the nylon braid. This is what is attached to the harness just like fishing line. A little tip for attaching to the harness whether using wire or nylong line is to get a small grommet tool set from a fabric store. You press a grommet into the end of the harness and thread whatever material you're using through that. It keeps it from ripping through the material.

Vinnie, as to what color wire to get, that all depends on what color you coat is and what is going to show after the production. In other words you wouldn't want red wire on a wire IVD but there's nothing wrong with red wire if you are wearing a red coat and a regular harness with matching silk.

If you get chance to see Dakota Rose's act, his doves have small colored jackets on them so any matching wire color would work.
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hey Vinnie, I woulnd't go buying that wire. I had some sent to me at one time and even the black is too reflective. I agree to go with a sort of floral wire. Andy Amyx sells a flat black wire that is very similar to the floral wire but it is already coated black. Just to be on the safe side I buy flat black krylon or rustoleum (sp?) spray paint in either the flat black satin or the rubberized flat black from like Home Deopt and give it a good "once over" coating when making my loops. I also like Dave use the black braided fishing wire as the lead from the bag/harness to the loop. Even when I used white birds I've never had a problem hiding the black loop or lead, nobody can really see it aganist their white feathers because it goes behind my hand.
DANSPERRY.COM
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, Dan! I was just about to order it too.. hehe.

Anyways, I googled around and came across this green floral wire (24 gauge)
http://www.floraldesignessentials.com/in......ath=5_39

Would that be the correct type? the price looks great..

..Now I'm going to look for the braided fishing wire..
Thanks,
-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-11-18 23:18, Vinnie Laraway wrote:
Bob, thanks for that (confusing) post.. haha..

Anyway, I am about to order like 200 feet of 24 gauge beading wire for like 5 bucks, and don't know which color to get.. Since I will be using it for both holders and harnesses, which color do you think I should get? Link: http://www.parawire.com/24gaugeParaWire.shtml

Thanks
-Vinnie

I go by my costume for color. The harness is never seen. (I hope!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Ok, I get it now.. =]

But does anyone know if the wire 2 posts up is the correct kind?

Also, anyone have a link to the correct braided fishing line/wire? Also, what is it called in detail? Like the # and stuff..

Thanks
-Vinnie

Posted: Nov 20, 2006 12:43am
Cmon guys.. Please just let me know if this wire is the right kind that Dave is talking about..

http://www.floraldesignessentials.com/in......ath=5_39

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, save the shipping cost and buying much more than you actually need. You can go to any craft store and get the green floral wire in smaller spools. You can also buy it in precut strips. Just be sure, as I said, to hold it under a flame for a few seconds to turn it black.

The braided fishing line can be found in most larger sporting goods stores. I actually bought my last reel of it at Kmart. The reel was 100 Yards of 20lb test line and cost $2.14. It's called Nylong braided casting line.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks dave! I'll pick some up soon..

-Vinnie

Posted: Nov 27, 2006 6:32pm
Hey guys.. I have some 24 Guage wire now, and I just want to know what is the best way to attatch the wire loops to either the fishing line that is attatched to the holder or harness, or how to attatch the whole wire loop to the holder or harness.. Do you just tie it in a knot or something? I tried that, and always have that one end sticking out and am afraid it may poke my dove..

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, you don't attach the wire to the fishing line. You have several choices. One is to replace the entire fishing line loop with a wire one. You can push the wire through the material in the harness or you can get a grommet tool at a craft store. This will place a small grommet in the end of the harness and you put the wire through that. This will keep the wire from pulling through the material.

For the ends, at a fishing store, you can buy small leader crimps. You slide the crimp onto the wire and feed the end back into it. With a pair of pliers, crimp this as tightly as you can. The ends will be held securely and they will not catch on your coat during the production.

If you use the braided line as mentioned in my last post, you tie one end of the line to the harness and tie the other end to the wire loop. Use the same crimping grommet to hold the wire ends together.
Where the magic begins
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I personally use the grommets on all my dove holders and IDH's for the reason Dave mentions above. So that the wire/line does not pull through the material. (Which is especially nice if your dove holders are expensive!) The tool is very cheap to buy (just a few dollars, litterally) and easy to use.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Hey guys.. As I said before, I got some of the 24 guage wire, but what other ways are there to turn the green to a flat black? Besides burning it, or spray painting it, how would this be achieved?

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, this will be a learning experience for me as well. If you are using the green floral wire, as far as I know the only methods to turn it black is to paint it which is a pain or burn it which is really quite easy.

The burning just takes a second or two. You light a wood kitchen match and pass the wire through it slowly until it turns black. The advantage to burning is it won't chip off like paint. After you burn it though, slide it through a cloth or paper towel to remove the excess charring.
Where the magic begins