The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
big Tom
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of big Tom
Hey guys I am working on putting together a dove act for an upcoming show that I have and I have seen a realy cool dove vanish that I would like to put in the act only problim is that I have no clue how it is done, it go like this the magician apears the dove an any way makes a couple of up and down motions with his hands and throws the dove in the air only it is not the dove it is silk or some other objeck. Any help would be greatly apriciated.

Thanks
Big Tom
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Hi Tom, I have done this effect of the toss dove vanish back when I wore my tux with tails. I have not used it in my act for a few years.

But here is more info on it from our Café Members:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=13

Best,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Tails is how I do it. There are other ways if you don't have tails. I guess my question is - do you have tails? - I think we are on the edge of exposure by telling "how" its done, but if you have Videos like Tony Clark, Shimada , etc....they are explained in details on those.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Eleazar Goodenough has been working on a barehand dove vanish he can do in his Wiz Kid outfit, which consists of jeans and a short sleeved T-shirt. He is almost finished writing it up (but he is in fourth grade this year and is finding it difficult to find time for writing up his magic effects, between homework, Wiz Kid performances, and Clarinet practice and rehearsals with the orchestra). It should be ready in time to make it into The Wizards' Journal #11, but if not, then #12 for sure. Anyway, this is the kind of X-treme magic he likes, where it seems impossible and yet it happens.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tom,

Are there any other props on stage?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
big Tom
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of big Tom
Hey guys thank for the advice, I had a feeling that it was all in the tail and I don't have a tail coat I eventually would like to get a tail coat but its just not in the cards right now and I think that we all know that you have to play the card you are delt. So I think that I am going to use a devils hank. What do you guys think about that, any coments/sugestions.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That would be a good start, but watch out for your dove in a regular devil's hank. They aren't really designed for livestock vanishes. If you practice with the dove and see that he's not getting hurt or tossed about (if he struggles to get the heck out of there, that's a good clue!) then that would work for you, but if you want some alternatives, you'll find one in The Wizards' Journal #5 under "Swim Suit Dove Productions." I know you're not looking for a production, but there is one production described there that uses a special foulard that would work just as well for a vanish as for a production. It's sort of a cousin to the Devil's Hank, but designed with a dove in mind. It's also easy to make if you sew, or if you don't sew, if you can iron on some fusible fabric tape from the craft store.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Big T

There's also a "dove mat" made by various manufacturers that involves showing a mat on both sides, folding the mat in half and placing the dove inside--the mat is snapped open and a silk handkerchief is shot into the air-- the dove is gone (transformed?).

This is easy to do, safe and relatively comfortable for the dove and not too expensive.

Julie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Way to go Julie!

I had rolled mine up and put in a box with sticks and wands and forgotten it until today. It will work perfectly with something I had in mind. It's even turquoise!

Thank you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That's right! I also had forgotten about this little gem, so easy to make with Dollar Store placemats! Thanks for the Memory Jog (I'm getting so I need more and more of them every day!).

The version being referred to is probably the Supreme model mentioned in Ian Adair's Encyclopedia of Dove Magic (Volume 2, P240) called "Dove to Silk Sensation." However, I used to do the same thing with just a couple of bamboo placemats and no fancy pockets. In Adair's Dove Encyclopedia Volume 1 (p 170), there is an even simpler version using a newspaper called, appropriately enough, "Newspaper Vanish."
Professor Spellbinder

GrahamFishman
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of GrahamFishman
Latex doves work too

graham fishman