The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Aviary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Hello I was woundering if there were plans for a good dove aviary anywere? It would need to hold around 5 to 7 birds comfortably.

Thanks alot,
-Aaron
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Aaron, if you have Tony Clarks videos, he shows how to make a dove aviary. If not, here's a link to Gordon Meyer's site which has instructions on how to get his dove cote plans. I have them and they are excellent and not very expensive.

http://www.g2meyer.com/dovecote/
Where the magic begins
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I have used Gordon's plans as well and found them to be easy to follow and they make for a great little dove cote.

You will not be dissappointed
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Thanks for the nice words, gentlemen. If ya'll have any questions about the All-Weather Dove Cote please do let me know.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Come on Gordon, do you really have to be prepared for All-Weather in Chicago? As long as it can take 100 MPH winds, what's the problem?

Oops, I forgot ice skates.

OK, I've had my fun. Enjoy!

Your plans solve the problem.

See you down the road.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
What are the dimensions on this guys? thanks alot.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magic_man204, you need to contact Gordon directly on this since they are his plans and he sells them. I'm not sure how much general information he wants on the open forums. I can tell you that it's adjustable depending on how many birds you are going to keep.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Thanks
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
The nicest aviary I have ever seen, I left behind at my old house. The basic structure was modeled after a pergola (54"w x 96"d x 74"h). To that, I added a trusses for a tin roof, used 1/2" wire mesh (inside) for the floor walls and ceiling. The shelter had four nesting boxes, beneath them an area for food and water. Under the shelter was a storage cabinet. I built the door out of cedar and stained the outside (only) blue.
POOF!
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Thanks kregg sounds like a really nice place for them.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish researched a lot of plans (including Gordon's) and then decided to strike out on his own (as usual). His result is being published in The Wizards' Journal #11. He calls his plans the "EZ-Clean Dovecote" and it has two important features missing from many of the other plans he looked at. Jim admits he is basically lazy, so he wanted a dovecote that was VERY easy to clean. He also wanted to build it on standard dimensions so that Home Depot would do most of the cutting and prep work for him! I think he succeeded, and the plans will be on-line in a day or so, on my site.

You want to know the dimensions? Think TWO by FOUR and that's basically it in a nutshell. However, the details tell you how to stick it all together.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Cool give a link when its up I am interested
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magicman, our rules will prevent spellbinder from listing his web site link but you can find it in his profile and it's also in his signature line.
Where the magic begins
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Here's a photo, but I don't know if it will be allowed to stay on the forum for very long.

If the picture is missing, it basically showed the cote with its new occupants trying out the playground area. Some are in the back doing who-knows-what? in the private apartments. It is currently comfortable with six and will probably expand to eight before a companion cote will need to be made. Note the garbage can beneath the cote. The floors open up and the waste is easily cleaned out directly into the can. Jim has worked out a way to keep doves from being thrown out with the waste, by shifting them back and forth in the cote from one side to the other.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Cool thanks alot, sorry I didn't know that rule, I guess it stops promoting of ones own website without buying an advertisement. I will be looking into this when it comes out. could you at least tell me when it is on your site?

Thanks a million,
-Aaron
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Spellbinder, the picture is fine.

Aaron, there is no need to post a website link since it is in his profile and signature. Just duplicate typing, that's all.
Where the magic begins
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I just finished editing Jim's article and the "EZ-Clean Dovecote" is now "officially" on-line and ready to go.
Professor Spellbinder

magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Thanks alot.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
My All-Weather Dove Cote Plans builds a habitat that holds about 8 doves. You can scale it for more, or fewer, birds if you desire.

And I totally agree with the desire to make the cote "standard" and easy to build. That's exactly why my cote (at the size specified in the plans) is designed to sit securely on a picnic table or saw horses. Just one less piece that you have to assemble/cut yourself.

Best Regards,
--Gordon