The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Five extra fingers? Vernet. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Graydini
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Graydini
So I've wanted to try out Vernets sixth finger for a while now, and I finally got the package set. The one that has regular and large sixth, pinkie, pointer, and thumb. I was hoping that it would at least come with one routine for using the sixth finger, but it only came with vanishing a lit cigarette with the TT. The instructions say there are many books dealing with the sixth finger, but all I know is books about the TT. Can someone point me to a good resource that has both routines and more importantly proper handling of the sixth finger.

Thanks,
God Bless
-Grayden
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Wanting to do a particular trick because of it's method is putting the cart before the horse IMO.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Garret Thomas has a routine using a sixth finger on one of his videos, it is a finger fantasy type routine where you remove a finger.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I have never used, or even attempted to use, my sixth finger. Got one years ago...don't recall when or where or how, (must have come in a set of something). ...But I've never found a use for it that I'm comfortable with. Don't know of any books or DVDs on the item. ...Gee...I'm not a whole lotta help here, am I??? Sorry. I'm a TT enthusiast.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
There's something in one of the Vernon Chronicles books, something about a "Treasury Worm"...i think. I don't have the books here with me, but I think this effect may be of the sort that you're asking for. I'll check tonight, and if I'm wrong, I'll post again saying "i was wrong".
tjo'
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's been suggested that Houdini often used a sixth finger while doing his "all nude" escapes.
Within the fnger would be everything he needed for that particular escape.
He never got caught with it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Silken Sorcery by Jean Hugard describes a handling for a silk production from a piece of paper, using the gimmick.
Graydini
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Graydini
Thanks Guys I check those out. I doubt I'll try that "all nude escape" though Smile silverking.

keep em coming,
God Bless.
-Grayden
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3789 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Scott Alexander uses one in his silk routine on the BK production on the 10 to Midnight DVD. A very clever and entertaining rountine
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2006-11-04 19:23, Futureal wrote:
Wanting to do a particular trick because of it's method is putting the cart before the horse IMO.

I sometimes say things like that but if the truth be told I have quite a few successful routines that started out with the trick and the routine was built around it. So I think in a lot of cases the original inspiration can be the move or the concept as long as the end result hits the spot.

I've just got the set, too. I've been playing around with the 6th finger and it is remarkably deceptive. if I come up with anything worthwhile I'll let you know.

George
Kristian Skovbo
View Profile
Regular user
Denmark
160 Posts

Profile of Kristian Skovbo
Do you know who came up with the bit at 3:10 with the Sixth Finger?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YEARS AGO, a trick called "Slik Silk" was available. It was a barehand production of a silk. It was quick, visual, and good. I used it successfully.

It may have been "put out" by Al Baker, I'm not sure.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Sixth finger is not really a close up prop, it is more for stand up several feet from your audience or spectators.

David Ginn used it in his kids stage shows as gag item.

I have used it for years, but most so called magicians thinks they cannot get away with it, because they don't believe in their own abilities, and the illusion created with it. Magic is probably better off is others do not use, that leaves those that see the merit in this gimmick to fool them as well.

Self confidence is an important trait to have if a person really wants to be a magician.