The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Where to find silver Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

I finally decided to give the cups and balls a try. Played with it in the past and have a lot of knowledge and material on the effect, yet never devised a routine.

I'm looking for silver cups, and don't wanna spend more then 75-100 dollars. I don't wanna buy a cheap aluminium set like I had a couple years ago. A friend of mine has the Ammar silver cups which I like a lot. He bought them for 50 euros. does anyone know a dealer where I can find good silver cups to start with?

Thanks!

Simon
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
If you are looking for Sterling Silver Cups priced at $75.00 to $100.00 a set you will be looking for a long time. Even Silver Plated Cups command a higher price than what you have listed.

If instead, you mean silver colored cups your only options (other than Sterling or Plate) are Aluminum or Stainless Steel. Aluminum is available in your price range, Stainless is not.

You may find some success in the used product market.

I am not aware of Ammar offering "Silver" Cups.

Bill
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Jake from RNT2 (Mad Jake on the Café), is selling aluminum sets he made to test some of his designs. PM him for more details.

Curt
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Get some MAGIC MAKERS or BAZAR DE MAGIA copper or brass cups, and find a good shop to chrome plated them.....still not sure if it gonna be under $100.00
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-11-03 16:22, Simon Bakker wrote:
Hello,

I finally decided to give the cups and balls a try. Played with it in the past and have a lot of knowledge and material on the effect, yet never devised a routine.

I'm looking for silver cups, and don't wanna spend more then 75-100 dollars. I don't wanna buy a cheap aluminium set like I had a couple years ago. A friend of mine has the Ammar silver cups which I like a lot. He bought them for 50 euros. does anyone know a dealer where I can find good silver cups to start with?

Thanks!

Simon

Ammar silver cups? I don't think so. Michael Ammar used the Paul Fox cups until Encore made the copper cups he uses now.

And they cost a lot more than € 50.

When you refer to silver cups, you must be referring to aluminum. You cannot possibly get silver cups for € 50.

Bazar cups in brass or copper will cost you about $75.00 for a set. I don't know how you can get them chromed in Europe for anything near $25.00.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
If only the Sherwood silver cups cost € 50. Smile
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2206 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
If you're getting plating done for 25.00, don't' expect to have it last very long. We use the company that plates nearly all the Nascar motor parts for show cars and a lot of rebuilt Harleys as well. They are one of a few companies in the US that are grandfathered to use the cyanide striking process. This is the process that determines how long your nickle/chrome will last on the surface of the cup.
We pay 25.00 per cup just to have them prepped for plating, yet alone the actual process. I would be leary of 25.00 total cost.

Refined silver 995 is more expensive than pure 999 fine silver, the reason being it has been refined for spinning and manufacturing. Even 999 fine is at 13.50 an ounce. I'm not sure what the cost is in the UK but this is Brett's production issue right now with future silver cups as the price appears to be much higher in the UK.

As Curtis mentioned, we have some Monti sets and PF sets in aluminum, complete with bag,cups, balls and wand for 54.95 while they last, I think we have several sets left of each. We use 050 aircraft alum. for these cups. Also, if you find a set of alum. cups you like, wether they be ours or someone elses, despite popular opinion, alum can be nickled and chrome plated.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
I'm sorry, I should have specified better. I'm not looking for real silver cups, but silver looking cups. Whith cheap aluminium cups I meant the set that every magic dealer sells for about 15 euros/dollars.

My buddy told me that these were the Ammar cups, I think he meant the cups Ammar used.

Thanks for all the replies!

Simon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Why don't you go to the cups and balls museum and see if you can find cups like the ones you are interested in?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Rather than silver or chrome plating, I'd go for the triple nickel plating. It's what I get on my linking rings (when I get a bargain). Have to keep polishing them, but they wear like iron.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2206 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Triple Nickle is not cheap and then you have to be able to trust your plater. Triple nickle means the items being nickled are at least in the tank for 4 1/2 hours. Not a cheap process. Chroming has to be put over freshly buffed and clean nickle or it does not good to chrome. Chroming is a protective coating that also enhances the lustre of the nickle plate. When something is chromed it usually is only in the chrome tank for about 15-25 seconds vs. the hours the item is in the nickle tank.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com