The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Blaney Ladder Levitation (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magikev
View Profile
New user
California
18 Posts

Profile of magikev
Hey everybody. I am fairly new to illusions, but have been doing much research lately into the subject. I have come acoss the Blaney Ladder Levitation, as well as his noticeably cheaper Suspension 3001. I have two questions. First, what are the main differences between the two? Does the Ladder Levitation do anything that the Suspension does not? Also, I know that working professionals like David Copperfield and Lance Burton have used the Blaney Ladder Levitation to great success, but what makes it so special (not talking method, of course)? For approximately the same price, one can get the Splashes Creative Services Ultimate Levitation, which looks phenomenal and, at least from my point of view, more magical. If somebody could turn be on to benefits of the Blaney product, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much. Also, what is the best levitation for the money less that about 6000 dollars, if any exists? Maybe this should be another topic though . . .

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Viner
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
110 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
The main difference between the 2 Blaney suspensions is the fact the you can build the ladder suspension in front of the audience, proving all parts are separate pieces and that there is no gimmicks of any kind to be seen. The suspension 3001 is already set-up with the board, supports, etc. In my opinion the ladder is much cleaner, but you have to pay for it. There has been much debate as to whether the Ladder Suspension looks more mysterious than the 3001. In my opinion, it does. No funny looking supports, just ladders and a board. Angles are about the same. Both pack fairly small for use in the real world situation. And the feature I like best is that you use an audience volunteer. Of course, if you get the metal hoop (which I recommend) add another $3500.00 or so, plus cases, shipping, etc. you’re talking about $15,000.00.

In the right hands both will entertain your audience, though I chose the Ladder Suspension because it looks cleaner.

Good Luck
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
The splashes creative levitation is great illusion but try packing it in your car or checking it into airport baggage and you'll see why so many pros tour with Blaneys Ladder Levitation. You can perform it just about anywhere and don't need a stage. The Splashes Creative levitation is strictly for a touring pro who is doing the large shows and has the equipment to haul it around.

Best,

Tim
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
First - remember that a suspension is different than a levitation. In a suspension the object remains stationary as its supports are removed -- therefore the ladder suspension, suspension 3001, sword suspension, brooom suspension and chair suspension are in a single class of illusion.

A levitation sees the object rise of float either from the supports or after the supports are removed...sometimes to return to them, sometimes to have the object dissapear.

Both the Blaney suspensions are based on original designs by Jack Gwynne and are improvements on those designs -- the 2001 and 3001 based upon permission from Jack's widow as I understand it.

Walter Blaney then used that principal to "invent" or improve the concept with the ladders being removedfrom the plank and the prop being assembled in front of the audience many years ago -- and it was truly popularized by David Copperfield performing it on TV (there are clips of him with Dinah Shore around.)

My guess is that it was about 20 years later that Walter sold a rig to a european who then "knocked it off" and marketed a version (oneof which is in my posession). After that episode Walter now requires a trade secret and non-compete agreement from all who buy his model -- which is again improved from what I have seen. Since it was not patented - Walter can only depend upon the "ethics" of the magic community in the US to keep them from buying the European model (legally.)

The model I have (and which has been offered for sale under the appropriate forum here) was also modified from the form in which it was originally received and can be performed on a sandy beach, shag rug or a plush lawn - which was not the case when it originally arrived here as part of an estate sale from a late friend's widow.

Alll work well with Walt's "Great White Hoop" (I sold my hoop, BTW with my Gwynne Suspension) but work MAGNIFICENTLY with Walt's Steel hoop.

The last Blainey Ladder suspension listed at the Magic Auction started at $5,000 and was off the board in a week. It truly is a great prop -- and is priced to keep it out of the hands of amateurs. The European model I have was less -- came without cases and had to be tuned and modified to bring it up to what I consider regular performance standard -- but ended up costing less cash --

I am not sure of the status of the ill will between Walt Blaney and the European manufacturer -- but I do not think it has healed as the manufacturer at last check still had this model on his site listing substantial chargesfor crating and shipping. (I had ATA cases built.)

If you wish more details, please PM me -- I am (I hope) wrapping up an illness that has required me to change my performance style and material...selling many of my bigger props and rountines.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I have the 3001 suspension. One other difference between the two is you can apparently walk all the way around the 3001 as opposed to the ladder suspension. Other than that I'd say Mike Thornton covered it pretty well. The suspension will on average cover 3-4 minutes of your show.I don't feel that either is a spectacular enough performance piece that I'd close my show with it. For some this may be different. I bought a lot of nice illusions with the almost $10,000 difference in the two illusions. If money is no object I'd certainly spring for the ladder illusion. Unfortunely for me, it is still a major object.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Do not sell short the process of putting together the ladder illusion in front of the audience. That is what sells it.

When I worked with a guy, one time we opened the curtin with it all set up and it just did not play as well. It is a MAJOR POINT!!

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 12:19, chmara wrote:
I am not sure of the status of the ill will between Walt Blaney and the European manufacturer -- but I do not think it has healed as the manufacturer at last check still had this model on his site listing substantial chargesfor crating and shipping. (I had ATA cases built.)

Things have not changed. A rip off is still a rip off. Walter in no way condones the European model. It is NOT an exact duplicate of his gimmick. It exactly what it is... a cheaply built rip off.

I'm also surprised you are so willing to tout the fact that you knowingly bought, own and use a rip off of one of magics great effects. I have neither the time or ambition to get into an ethics debate as that has been done numerous times in other threads. I'm simply stating I am shocked to see you so cool with it.

Best,

Tim
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Tim -

I have been sitting on this for several years after having received it in an estate I bought to help a friend's widow. I can post the whole story - including how it had to be modified - if anyone is intertested.

As I say in my ad offering it for sale under illusilons - I am no longer in a position to keep this even though many will consider the legal knock-off inferior and still in dispute.

But "legally" speaking, my credit and health situation demand I sell it, although out of respect for Walt and his disagreement with SD I have sat on it for a few more years than is comfortable.

I can say too - the modifications made to it were somewhat costly but did change the range of use -- including now using it on grass, sand and shag something the original model(s) did not do to muy knowledge.

While I do not endorse knock-offs as a general principle - I also realize that patents have a life and legal protections vs. actual production is a broad area ofr interpretation with many disputes. The WB new rigs are covered by trade secret agreements - but the version I have by SD was made before that was enforced and to my knowledge no patent exists on the WB vewrsion used as a model;.

I have no intention of manufacturing -- and need to cover my loss gracefuly. Therefoie I request no flames be directed at me over this matter -- which I feel is now similar to that of Zig-Zag and the Orben development of it and subsequent book.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Dear Chmara,

No flames intended. Your post threw me for a loop as you seemed so knowledgeable regards both Walters and others levi's, and respectful of ethics yet SEEMED ( upon my first reading ) to be promoting going a cheaper route and buying a knockoff. The two just didn't mix and that's what confused me. Thanks for your most polite ( flamefree ) clarification.

Best,

Tim
scottmcfall
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of scottmcfall
I have the chair levitation designed by Jim Steinmeyer and built by WIlly Kennedy. The success with all these levitations of audience members is created through the byplay with the audience member. Walter has a certain attitude that sells his presentation. When watching two other very successful routines, that of Lance Burton and Copperfield with the Blanney Ladder.. Lets face it - the routine and personality make all the difference. the issue with the type of audience levitation I do is that the base is too big and the gimmick is attached to a long line in order for the lift to work. The ladder levi (on the other hand) allows the assembly and the parts look relatively like you could get them anywhere. Watch the Carson video of Walter and notice how the props look like just something from the garage. That is the reason the trick is great. Recently I watched the trick performed with a magician who had a bunch of other illusions on stage at the same time- it really ruined the effect of the ladder as it took away the everyday items feel of the prop. The illusion should come off like there is no prop. The levitation I am using now is too" high production" for that feel. in an effort to get movement and create a unique feel I made the job during this effect too hard. Now that it is rehearsed and I have had feedback and direction the thing works. Watch How the ladder is much more simplistic and can be made to look like junk you would get anywhere. Also remember that the weight of the volunteer matters. The routine is tougher with every pound. The gimmicks bounce more and that makes things tough. When adding movement with an audience member the bouncing becomes even harder to avoid. We have also discovered that the background color is a huge seller -when hiding a gimmick in plane site, the item it is hidden in should be very very visible!
wmorrison3
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of wmorrison3
One comment on the 3001 suspension. Walter Blaney, besides being one of the nicest guys in magic, is a stickler for detail and it shows on this suspension. Everything is there for a reason. I read one post about the gold cloth covering the girl and they said they would throw it away. I hope they didn't throw it very far as it is a key part of the suspension as anyone who has used any suspension in multiple venues can tell you. Walter has covered all the bases. I built a suspension unlike his about 40 years ago after seeing the ladder suspension the first time. Every problem I ran into over the years has been covered in 3001, with one exception. They are all too heavy. I wish Walter would license the suspension to someone who would build it using space age materials like carbon fiber. It would cost much more but really worth it for us aging magicians. I sold mine because I couldn't handle it anymore.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Here is our latest with the Blaney Ladders.

https://youtu.be/raTkKo8XUOM
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
GREAT SCOTT!! (Literally) How on God's Warming Earth were you guys able to roll the cloth all the way from one end of the board to the other end of the board without it falling off the front side?? I have seen this performed by 5 other magicians live and a few times on TV, none of those magicians seemed to be able to control that God D@mn3d cloth! Yeah, it's cool you floated a lady.....but as a magician I am more concerned with technique and originality. You two are truly masters of your craft!

Aside from my smart ass compliment of not copying all the DB's who copy DC, you guys did great!
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
110 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
Love watching you two together, you're a great team. LOVE the ladder toss, LOVE the hoop pass.
John magic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of John magic
You could perform Abbitts super X if you have the Blaney hoop , it’s magic.