The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: My Dove Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys...

I got my Tony Clark dove magic items about a week ago, and decided to share what I have been practicing.. Please comment..

My Dove Production

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Vinnie,

Good work! (Please do change coats. The white on the sleeves is confusing.) I like the vanishing knot too.

Most people don't realize that there is 4.5 sq. feet of coverage with two 18" silks but only 4 sq. feet of coverage with one 24" silk. With two 12" silks there is only 2 sq. feet of coverage. That is just half the coverage of a 24" silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, nice steal. One suggestion though. Practice doing it without looking down at the loop. You want to look at your audience. Also, there appears to be no reason to show the silk on both sides. In other words, you have shown a silk front and back and then just dropped it to your side. Why? Think about this. You do the vanishing knot and drop you hands slightly to the rest postion grasping the loop at the same time. Pause for a second (Tony Clark calls it the off beat)to get your applause and bring the silk from the left hand to the right. Now you can do the steal, drop your hands to your sides as though you were finished, take a step forward and take a larger applause. Then produce the dove. Same effect, just puts meaning to your moves.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks alot, guys! And Dave, yes, I know.. Tony does a great job explaining it..

I will continue to work with it..

Any other comments are welcome..

-Vinnie
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
I'm not the biggest fan of dove magic but there was something very surreal about watching a guy in torn jeans and a tracksuit jacket producing a dove. I thought it looked good given that said you'd only just learnt it.

So what is the act going to develop into.....promise it wont be a manipulation act, using tailcoats balls and fantasio canes, there is enough 1800s style acts out there to last a life time. I saw an article in magic recently about a punk guy doing a bird act with parrots etc. that looked very cool.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks for the words, Paul!

Yeah, I know what you mean.. Its all the same: Doves, Fantasio products, card manipulation, and tails with ruffles..

I plan to spice things up a bit with a more modern, teenage look at things..

About the "punk" guy, hmm.. Well, I know that Dan Sperry has a very unique character, and he's a big dove guy.. Maybe you were referring to him..

Anyways, I don't know what the routine will encompus as of now, but I'll try to keep you guys posted..

-Vinnie
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hi Vinnie, good luck with what you're getting yourself into with the doves...in regards to looking down at the loop too much: buy a neck brace that the paramedics use and strap it on your neck when you practice so you can't look down, its a good way to train yourself from looking at the loops...too many people also do that kind of dove magic as well
DANSPERRY.COM
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
Dan sperry was the guy I was reffering to. Looks like an interesting act.

Good luck with your act.

I was just thinking, that I could not keep doves in my flat, however I live in a woodland area where squirrels come and eat out of my hands..... I could have the first ever squirrel manipulation act.... Do you think the loops would fit?. just kidding
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Dan,

Thanks for the advice.. Well, about looking at the loops, that was like my second night practicing with that, and I was using some sort of fishing line. Now I am using this wire that everyone recomends, and I can find the loop with ease without looking down! Great stuff!

Thanks again,
-Vinnie

PS, Paul, that made me chuckle! =]
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Vinnie,
Great job.
I would not have guessed that you had only been practicing for one week.

Side note: I also liked your other video, 'Jack Flying and Training'. A nice 'Behind the Scenes' clip that you will love to look back at years down the road. The bloopers at the end were a nice touch.

I am looking forward to an update in the future.

~John
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks John.. I really appreciate all the help and little 'side notes' Café members give!

Thanks alot!!
-Vinnie